Cultivated Reef

Is my Acan dying?

Crammy

One of the heads in the middle of my Acan seems to be retracting from the skeleton slightly. Any ideas what might cause this? My other acans/blasto seem fine (as do the other heads on this Acan)

3311ACF7-EA67-4BF0-B117-A832B06F0E69.jpeg

184FED88-B774-48BC-896B-5C4B7094AAD9.jpeg

C953235B-EB8A-494F-BFC7-64D5253668B9.jpeg

The colony itself looks very good.  I wouldn't worry too much about it.  Make sure alkalinity remains stable, inorganic nutrients don't bottom out, and that you feed them a little once a week.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
On 1/10/2022 at 10:35 AM, Crammy said:

Any ideas what might cause this?

Can you post your most recent water test results (ca, alk, mg, no3, po4, salinity, temp) as well as anything interesting that may have happened with the tank (or that coral) lately?

• 2 weeks later...

Its fine,looks more so like something either messed with that particular polyp (pod,something floated in or by it) and it retracted. 

I will say,if you want to bring the true rainbow color that specific colony has gut load it with a mixture of meaty foods,reef roids and amino's,maybe some nitrates and phosphates if you system is super clean and within a month you will be HAPPY,and it will explode in growth. 

That is a beautiful colony.