Pod Your Reef

Dino's "trying" to bloom

W1ll

4 minutes ago, mcarroll said:

BTW, your tank is still so new that it "should be" very clean still.  If you DO NOT find that it's still clean, then this type of aggressive cleaning being recommended may make some sense.

Sorry, I'm not OP and wasn't hijacking their thread, just was curious from others how they do those two bits of the rip clean.

Just now, skippylou said:

Sorry, I'm not OP and wasn't hijacking their thread, just was curious from others how they do those two bits of the rip clean.

I was still addressing you as well as the OP.  🙂  No apology needed. 😉 

I'm pretty sure the idea of "rip cleaning" does not address your concerns....there isn't much to the idea after all, it's just uber-cleaning.

• Like 1
1 minute ago, mcarroll said:

I was still addressing you as well as the OP.  🙂  No apology needed. 😉 

I'm pretty sure the idea of "rip cleaning" does not address your concerns....there isn't much to the idea after all, it's just uber-cleaning.

Agreed, if I ever do battle dinos to that extent I'm not sure the loss of life in my sandbed I would be ok with.

• Like 1

the good part about having a link to read is we dont have to make up guesses about outcomes. if thousands of dollars in reef tank life are doing great and can be quickly ascertained in the click read, then the takeaway would be positive vs invented negative. we'd have to pull a negative aspect off the provided proofs in order for it to be valid, but that's hard to do when aquarists are on file saying thank you for saving my reef, it was dying prior and I had to give excuses to everyone for why it looked that way.

bare bottom reef tanks aren't dying, or lacking growing coral/what's in a sandbed here are grains and detritus and a bunch of dinos. the microscopic life aren't apparently helping in any dinos or cyano battle and are also found suspended in the water or crawling over rocks, there's nothing special about sand in a nano reef other than being a waste repository and an excuse to allow an invader to totally takeover the small easily cleaned reef.

there is not a maturity timeline where running a rip clean is appropriate or not, that advice doesn't come from any pattern work threads and implies a negative outcome potential. you run a rip clean when you want to move a tank to a new home and not cycle, on a new tank in the uglies or an old tank in the uglies, or when you want to be invasion free, or when you want to change sand for new etc. you run it when you want a shiny tank vs an invaded one. at any time a person can select to have the exact same outcome by tinkering with params for six months and the reef will look the same as can be caused in four hours, its a timeline choice in that sense only.

• Like 1
10 hours ago, DevilDuck said:

@W1ll If the tank is only 15g, I would consider a "rip clean" approach. It's free and should only take an afternoon.

Basically take the tank apart, do a deep clean and 100 percent water change and put it back together.

- Blast off all the dino and detritus you can from the rocks

- Remove the rocks and put it into a container

- Drain tank and remove inhabitants

- Remove the sand and rinse it in tap water until it runs clear. The final rinse should be with RODI.

- Put it all back together again with freshly mixed saltwater and adjust nutrients to desired levels

I must say, I have indeed considered this in when I have encountered issues in the past. I am making good progress eliminating dinos using my current strategy though, so I might just stick with that for the time being. I will definitely keep in mind a rip clean for the future, thanks.  

Bit of an update, 

The amount visible dinos in the DT and rear chambers appears to be holding steady, I am incredibly glad to see that their numbers aren't increasing. I borrowed a mates microscope and ID'd them as mainly Ostreopsis, with what unfortunately looks like a small amount of amphidinium on parts of the sand bed. I added a live marine zooplankton mix that contained a couple different species of copepods and I believe amphipods as well. Something tells me the salinity swing knocked out a large portion of my previously massive population. The UV sterilizer should be arriving in a day or two and I am very interested to see if this makes any noticeable difference, at least against the Ostreopsis. The tanks phosphate consumption has also skyrocketed, I am having to dose this daily to maintain the water at a steady 0.1ppm. Nitrates are staying fairly solid at 12-15ppm. I am changing floss every morning to remove the dino strands caught the previous night, interestingly the amount of visible dinos caught in the floss seems to vary massively day-to-day. 

Other than that all corals and fish seem to be coping just fine, and I am honestly not too concerned with the state of the tank at the current time, I'll just let nature do its thing and hopefully things smooth out eventually. 

W1ll

• Like 1