Innovative Marine Aquariums

Small Budget RO/DI Unit

Tboss11

Hi Guys,

I recently setup a fluval evo tank in my flat, and I need an RO/DI unit to go with.

I'm limited on space and preferably don't want to spend excess of £50 on it as the tank is so small and I'm broke after christmas...

Any suggestions would be great!

robuddy is about your only option, or try to find a used unit. the refills on the ro buddy cost about as much as a new unit, standard cartridges are much cheaper and easier to get ahold of

• Like 1
Partially Submerged

I think just the required cartridges will break your budget.

I see you're in the UK, so I'm not sure what your situation is, but here in the US, bottled RO/DI and distilled water are widely available at grocery stores. It's not a terribly green or economical solution, but your 50 quid (Did I do that right?) will buy you a lot of water changes for such a small system until you've saved up for a proper system. 

• Like 1

Okay thanks guy! I'll look into used units and water from Local fish store.

My biggest issue is where to connect the RO/DI unit in my flat. The only option is my kitchen sink tap, however I'm clueless how I'd connect this. I've attached an image so you guys can see. Is there a certain adaptor i would need and what is it?

PXL_20220109_113746315.MP.jpg

Great suggestion M.Tournesol!

I found one on my shower (see images attached)

Based on this, what RO/DI unit and attachment will I need. Really don't want to get this wrong and buy one that doesn't connect. Happy to increase the budget to £100 if no need to buy extra canisters and is smallish.

Thanks!!

PXL_20220109_190743696.MP.jpg

• Like 1
M. Tournesol

If you want something permanent, you should buy a splitter valve Y.

896171970_71-MVnRkaL._AC_SL1500_.thumb.jpg.ac88f6e309ceb62459ecaf942bba881c.jpg

Look Below your Kinchen sink. Normally, you should have two hoses (one for the cold water and one for the hot water).

You can attach the splitter here or in your shower.

For the dimension, they are standard 1/2" or 2/3". Look it up on the internet and measure yours.
A rodi system generally come with an adapter 1/4" tube X 1/2" (you may need an adapter to go from 2/3" to 1/2" 🤷‍♂️).

s-l1600.jpg.44f74c702161bf5dbd11e264acd932bc.jpg

Other solution:

https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/connecting-a-rodi.252037/

12 hours ago, Tboss11 said:

Okay thanks guy! I'll look into used units and water from Local fish store.

My biggest issue is where to connect the RO/DI unit in my flat. The only option is my kitchen sink tap, however I'm clueless how I'd connect this. I've attached an image so you guys can see. Is there a certain adaptor i would need and what is it?

PXL_20220109_113746315.MP.jpg

How is the supply plumbed to that faucet under the counter?  This (under the counter) is generally where you'd hook it up permanently or semi-permanently.

A toilet's or washing machine's supply are other good possibilities for a source connection.

Whatever you do, keep in mind that the filter unit doesn't have to be close to the supply OR the drain.  You can run tubing up to something like 50 meters depending on your source PSI....and larger-diameter tubing can be used to enable even longer runs.  

So place the water hookup, the filter, the drain and the product receptacle where they're convenient....it doesn't have to be all in the same location. 👍

• Like 1

Thanks guys, as I live in a small apartment the shower is my only option. Not too bothered about setting up a permanent RO/DI unit.

Ideally want a smallish unit that won't need replacing capsules to save cost. Also do you know if I can just buy the unit, or need a connector to my shower too. 

Thanks

With RODI, you can either pay now or pay later. If you get an RO Buddie, you have a low up-front cost, but the cartridges do not last very long and are extremely expensive on a cost per gallon basis (I haven't done the math on it, but I remember it being something like 4-5x the price per gallon last I checked) and you will end up paying much more in the long-term (probably just a year or two). If you get a regular RODI setup with standard 2.5x10" cartridges, you'll pay a bit more up-front, but over time you will end up paying much less. Not to mention if RO Buddie ever goes out of business, you are stuck with a useless machine when your last filter runs out.

Back when I first got into reefing I was pretty broke and couldn't afford an RODI machine right away so I ended up buying distilled water from the store by the 5g bucket to buy time until I could save up for something better than the RO Buddie. Couldn't be happier about that decision. Keep in mind even a 10g tank is probably going to go through at least 100-150 gallons of RODI per year in just water changes and top off, so you'll be changing RO Buddie cartridges every single year at least. I haven't changed the cartridges in my RODI system in like 4 years now on a 20g/50g tank using a lot more water and still sitting at 0 TDS.

• Like 1

Thanks Mcarrol! 

Assume this isn't an RO buddie that will need replacing. Looks good value too and hopefully will last me 🙂

last question, will it connect to my shower, (see pic previously attached), or will I need to buy an attachment too.

thanks!

An easier way, if your bathroom is setup like mine, with the toilet next to the shower, is tap the water supply line from the toilet or the sink.

I keep the RODI filter and buckets in the shower so that any overflow or spills just go down the shower drain.

All residential water supply lines here in the US are on NPT size standard. I'm pretty sure Europe has a slightly different standard, so get the correct adapter.

Here is the one I used. I have 2 of them, one on the toilet supply and one on the kitchen sink which is closer to the tank. It literally takes 10 mins to install with an adjustable wrench.

Amazon.com: iSpring AFW43 Systems Feed Adapter, Fits 1/2" NPT and 3/8" COMP, Cold Water Supply Valve : Tools & Home ImprovementPXL_20220111_154853513.thumb.jpg.b8cf43158974f194718dd500013705bc.jpg

• Like 2

Hi guys,

Unfortunately DevilDuck, I have no access under my kitchen sink, a temporary set up in my shower which I can dismantle will have to do. Annoyingly I managed to buy an adaptor slightly to big, see the link below:

JOHN GUEST 1/4" x 3/4 BSP Push Fit/Valve Connector https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0041SY7VK/ref=cm_sw_r_apan_glt_i_PHWS9NVHNV3ZSGB6J8YX

Can someone reccomend an adaptor smaller to this that will fit my shower hose (picture attached). If so, pls send an Amazon link too so I can purchase it to arrive quickly.

I have an RO/di unit coming tomorrow and I'm keen to implement it as quickly as possible on my tank.

Thanks!

PXL_20220109_190743696.MP.jpg

Point of use fittings are usually (IIRC) 3/8" here in the 'States.  

Not sure what the parallel would be in metric standards tho....1 cm?  3/8"

(3/8" = 0.95 cm)

Taking a measurement of the diameter or calling a local hardware store to ask might be a good bet – they might even have the part you need.

If you aren't sure, take a ruler to it and then just go to the hardware store and buy a female cap or threaded Female-Male adapter of each size that looks it looks like it could be. They are only a few cents each (and you can return them), you can test them to make sure it's the correct size, and then you will know for sure before buying an expensive piece that has to be shipped. For a few cents and a drive to the hardware store, it's worth not having to deal with an RMA and waiting for another if you buy the wrong size.

If you don't mind it being ugly, you can buy a Tee of whatever size the shower head is, a ball valve for whatever size the shower head is, and then a JG adapter. They do generally make all of this as a one piece unit (like this https://www.bulkreefsupply.com/mur-lok-ez-faucet-adapter-kit.html - but these are US sizes), but you'll need to find it for your plumbing size.

It's probably a 10mm, but you never know.

• Like 1
  • 4 weeks later...

I posted the following this weekend. From what I understand this is an Amazon exclusive. It takes the larger cartridges so better in the long run when replacing them, cost is about the same after adding the canister for the Chloramine, has all the fittings to hook to a sink or outside spicket, double the output of the Buddie.  

Purchased the Aquatic Life Buddy Plus RO/DI system from Amazon. After further research and speaking with Dave at Aquatic Life it was determined I needed to add the Carbon Plus Filter to remove the chloramine. Dave suggested I look at the Model 740706 as it would remove the chloramine. I'm not mounting the RO/DI system and the 740706 is all contained to the bracket vs the Buddy Plus and the added canister. On top of that the 740706 100 GPD vs 50GPD for the buddy. Price is about the same after adding the Carbon Plus Filter.

No more lugging water containers home from the LFS - 

Aquatic Life 740706 - Highly Recommended RO/DI System and Great customer service from Aquatic Life. Dave is the man. 

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B09MTS1BCM?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2_dt_b_product_details

• Like 1
On 1/9/2022 at 6:23 PM, mcarroll said:

Whatever you do, keep in mind that the filter unit doesn't have to be close to the supply OR the drain.  You can run tubing up to something like 50 meters depending on your source PSI....and larger-diameter tubing can be used to enable even longer runs.  

Perhaps not, but outside of a basement, I Dont' want my RO/DI far from anything that can contain the water in case of a spillage. I want the output going rigiht from unit to drain with little in between

Everybody's needs and setup are different though.  I like to fill up 5 gallon containers in Laundry Room sink. Drain, bucket, leaks all contained if mishaps. 

Any good RODI unit, including the basic RO Buddy should filter out chrloramine.

The combination of the carbon filter and the RO membrane should both reject the chrloramine. If you want to save some wear and tear on the more expensive membrane, then double up on the cheaper carbon filter. I have the base RO Buddy unit and it removes the chrloramine in the water here in Dallas. I have yet to replace the membrane after a year of use. I'm still getting 0 TDS water.

On 2/7/2022 at 2:34 PM, DevilDuck said:

Any good RODI unit, including the basic RO Buddy should filter out chrloramine.

The combination of the carbon filter and the RO membrane should both reject the chrloramine. If you want to save some wear and tear on the more expensive membrane, then double up on the cheaper carbon filter. I have the base RO Buddy unit and it removes the chrloramine in the water here in Dallas. I have yet to replace the membrane after a year of use. I'm still getting 0 TDS water.

This was the reply that I received from Aquatic Life and why I returned the Buddie system and purchased Model 740706 Model:

Hey it was the same price and it's all one unit so I'm happy - 

Subject: RE: RO Buddie and Chloramines

The RO Buddie will remove chlorine but no chloramine.
How many gallons of water do you use weekly or monthly?
Regards,