Cultivated Reef

Starting Again- Best AIO

MT Reefer

I have been out of the hobby for about 10 years and am thinking of starting up again. I’m looking for an AIO system and would like to keep ricordia and zoas. Anywhere between 10-30 gallons. Fish will be dependent on tank size but most likely a clown. What would you guys go with?

There are so many. Most I have never owned but I am on here a lot and would suggest you check out some tank journals to see which setups appeal to you.

Right now one of the most popular AIO tanks seems to be the IM 25 gallon lagoon. Sorry I am not more help. 

I would say waterbox and innovative marine are your best options. Both have similar build quality (waterbox is slightly nicer, slightly) and very different dimensions. Check both out and see which dimensions speak to you. I just got an IM 25 Lagoon because it is shallow with a bigger footprint. Gallon for gallon, I prefer a bigger footprint that’s shallow so there’s less dead negative space in the water for aquascaping and more horizontal swim space rather than vertical. I’ve owned 2 innovative marine and have seen all the waterboxes in person. 

• Like 1
5 minutes ago, MT Reefer said:

I was looking at the Waterbox, is the light they offer suitable for corals? Or would it need to be upgraded?

I believe the lights they sell are AI Primes, which are great for growing just about anything from softies to sps. 

Waterbox makes some nice tanks. I own 3 of them and will likely buy another in the future when I'm ready to move to a larger size. I also have a Fijicube which is also a nice tank and an Innovative Marine which is my least favorite of the 3 brands that I own. Each has its own pros and cons, however. 

AllAboutDatWrasse

I don’t think you can make a bad choice in this segment. There are lots of great choices, including those mentioned above. I’d also suggest looking in to UNS tanks. They have an AIO series now as well. 

Also, if return pumps matter to you, the Mighty Jets that come with the Innovative Marine tanks are terrific controllable return pumps. 

• 3 weeks later...
On 1/8/2022 at 8:58 AM, Nixperience said:

I would say waterbox and innovative marine are your best options. Both have similar build quality (waterbox is slightly nicer, slightly) and very different dimensions. Check both out and see which dimensions speak to you. I just got an IM 25 Lagoon because it is shallow with a bigger footprint. Gallon for gallon, I prefer a bigger footprint that’s shallow so there’s less dead negative space in the water for aquascaping and more horizontal swim space rather than vertical. I’ve owned 2 innovative marine and have seen all the waterboxes in person. 

so I'm just toying with the idea of getting back into Saltwater.. had a 100gal acrylic tank 25yrs ago when you had to make/build a lot of stuff yourself and bioballs/ceramic rings were the big thing... FF to now and I'm really liking these smaller AIO's and see that the hobby has learned a lot in those 25yrs.. as of now i'm leaning to the IM25 lagoon mainly because of glass thickness and the 25gal waterbox's are not available. This time I want to keep both fish AND some coral/inverts... I've been lurking a bit and will do a lot more as well as visiting local fish stores here in kissimmee,fl... thanks to everyone for your great posts..

Edited by mrjoe
bad grammar...
  • Like 1
55 minutes ago, mrjoe said:

so I'm just toying with the idea of getting back into Saltwater.. had a 100gal acrylic tank 25yrs ago when you had to make/build a lot of stuff yourself and bioballs/ceramic rings were the big thing... FF to now and I'm really liking these smaller AIO's and see that the hobby has learned a lot in those 25yrs.. as of now i'm leaning to the IM25 lagoon mainly because of glass thickness and the 25gal waterbox's are not available. This time I want to keep both fish AND some coral/inverts... I've been lurking a bit and will do a lot more as well as visiting local fish stores here in kissimmee,fl... thanks to everyone for your great posts..

I’m loving my 25 lagoon!

Just to chime in here, you will be happy with either waterbox or innovative marine. What I would seriously focus on is the size and the tank layout you want and pick whoever has what your are looking for. I have a waterbox 10 that I really, really like but I know I would have been equally happy with IM

• Like 1
15 hours ago, aclman88 said:

Just to chime in here, you will be happy with either waterbox or innovative marine. What I would seriously focus on is the size and the tank layout you want and pick whoever has what your are looking for. I have a waterbox 10 that I really, really like but I know I would have been equally happy with IM

thanks for the replies.. I'm definitely looking for more horizontal space then vertical so the lagoon or peninsula are probably my best bets.. trying also the learn some of the new lingo and abbreviations for stuff.. i'll be researching for some time tho..  not keen n buying one used tho.. wouldn't trust it not cracking or letting go..

/.joe

• Like 1