Innovative Marine Aquariums

Best replacement pump for BioCube 16?

Goats n Monkeys

Goats n Monkeys

Hi All!

My stock pump finally went out and I've been searching for replacements. The Coralife 14 seems to be the closest match but $50 seems pretty steep and they're discontinued just about everywhere so that's rather odd. I just tried the Coralife 29/32, which is stronger and ironically $20 less but it barely fits back there and the current seems too strong for my torch and hammerhead corals. They're getting whipped around and aren't blossoming out as much. 

Should I:

1. Just keep the 29/32 under the assumption that the corals will eventually adjust for the better? (No room in tank to relocate them),
  2. Replace w/ the Coralife 14, or
  3. Replace w/ a better, yet not super pricey, model that flows closer to 185 GPH?

If #3, recommendations are greatly appreciated 🙂 

Both Biocube pumps are only $34 at marineandreef.com....the 14 is what I'd try to go with.  It's out of stock there too though.

I'd say find a way to limp along with what you have (the 29 pump, right?) until backorders for the 14 get filled.

Can you pinch the hose or otherwise restrict the flow on the 29 pump?   It won't hurt the pump, although I wouldn't put restrictions on the pump input....only the output.

Goats n Monkeys

I could create a slight pinch with a zip tie but the concern is that that energy is still going to find a way to release- either by creating a smaller yet stronger/more concentrated flow or even bursting one of the hose ends  I've tried redirecting the flow but the tank is too small for that to make a difference. When I pointed it higher a bunch of water ran over the edge and got all over the place.

Was concerned that the low, overpriced, and/or out of stock status everywhere was because something better must have taken its place. But now I'm starting to think it's due to all of the supply shortages in general so who knows when that'll free up...

12 minutes ago, Goats n Monkeys said:

I could create a slight pinch with a zip tie but the concern is that that energy is still going to find a way to release- either by creating a smaller yet stronger/more concentrated flow or even bursting one of the hose ends

There isn't much pressure to begin with – plus, the pump mechanism itself has plenty of wiggle room to "absorb" the restriction.  The pump is only driven by a fairly weak magnetic field.

Zip tie with confidence.  🙂   Zip tie or click-clamp the pump-end of the hose while you're at it if you think it'll help – sometimes it does if the hose is really loose – but in most cases there's plenty of friction keeping the hose and pump together.   My bet is that if there were going to be a problem with the pump-end of the hose, it wouldn't be a surprise, it would already be pretty obvious...the pump would probably already have problems staying hooked up to the hose.

• Like 1