ReefCleaners.org

How long can a coral stay ticked off?

Dave MN Nano

Dave MN Nano

I have a beautiful Kenya Leather Tree, about 8 inches tall. My pistol shrimp, who is endless entertainment and who can really be a dick sometimes, dragged the leather tree over to his rock and tipped it over and started to build the leather tree into his roof. I saw the coral in the morning, so It might have been that way as much as 8 or 10 hours. I moved the tree to the other side of the tank, where the pistol does not venture. It is now maybe 6 or 7 days later and the leather tree still has not extended his polyps. They were out every day before, unless he was shedding skin. Shedding usually only takes 2 days or so. Is he damaged? How long might this take? Thanks.

I think it could take a couple weeks, I’d just give it time. Mine shrinks up if my nitrate or phosphate get low, or sometimes at night. 

On 1/4/2022 at 7:28 PM, Dave MN Nano said:

I have a beautiful Kenya Leather Tree, about 8 inches tall. My pistol shrimp, who is endless entertainment and who can really be a dick sometimes, dragged the leather tree over to his rock and tipped it over and started to build the leather tree into his roof. I saw the coral in the morning, so It might have been that way as much as 8 or 10 hours. I moved the tree to the other side of the tank, where the pistol does not venture. It is now maybe 6 or 7 days later and the leather tree still has not extended his polyps. They were out every day before, unless he was shedding skin. Shedding usually only takes 2 days or so. Is he damaged? How long might this take? Thanks.

I agree.....as long as everything else is fine with the tank (animals OK; water tests OK; etc) he'll recover sooner or later.