Innovative Marine Aquariums

Acan/Micromussa issue.

jcrisman2009

jcrisman2009

What the heck is going on with this coral? I just recently bought it and it looked "normal" at the LFS. The guy said its an acan but, it also looks like a micromussa. Will burying the slumping side make it level out with the normal looking side? Will it eventually fix itself?

IMG_1669.jpg

Looks fine to me, acans tend to fold back like that when they detect food in the water column. It probably is a micromussa. Acan lordhowensis (acans) were re-classified as micromussa back in 2015, however the name acan has stuck as more of a general term. 

• Like 2
19 minutes ago, spazizz said:

Going by its color it looks like trachyphyllia 
images.jpg.ac4cf6bc3da49c7290737f5e0bffc78d.jpg

It looks mostly fine, just lacking some color. Have you been target feeding it?

I’ve been trying to but the only food I have are carnibites and formula 2 flakes. I have seen it eat a good sized flake it caught but I tried the carnibites and they might be to big.

3 hours ago, W1ll said:

Looks fine to me, acans tend to fold back like that when they detect food in the water column. It probably is a micromussa. Acan lordhowensis (acans) were re-classified as micromussa back in 2015, however the name acan has stuck as more of a general term. 

Oh, yeah that right! I now remember reading about the reclassification. They just have to make it even more confusing!

• Thanks 1

Here’s a top down pic of the coral. The skeleton doesn’t quite match the skeleton of trachyphyllia according to corals of the world site. The colors do match but the skeleton doesn’t. I must also say that it has three mouths.

96C2EDCF-8509-4E1C-9419-BA01A0214449.jpeg

Critteraholic

Hmmmm...  All my acans made little acans under them.  I've never seen an acan with multiple mouths.  Can you get a pic of the mouths?

Anybody else have acans with multiple mouths?  Inquiring minds want to know! 😁

• Like 1
2 hours ago, Critteraholic said:

Hmmmm...  All my acans made little acans under them.  I've never seen an acan with multiple mouths.  Can you get a pic of the mouths?

Sure, I'll try to get the best shot possible.

• Like 1
3 hours ago, Critteraholic said:

If we are speaking of Micromussa lordhowensis then we can consider that a Micromussa has multiple mouths since it's a colonial coral composed of multiple large polyps.

8 minutes ago, jcrisman2009 said:

The two smaller ones definitely open and close like the main one does.

D21E9684-7413-4FE0-856F-61505C59C5C6.jpeg

I could be wrong, but this picture strongly suggests to me that you actually have a lobophyllia on your hands. Brain Coral, Lobophyllia: Saltwater Aquarium Corals for Marine Reef  Aquariums

Here is an example, does yours look similar?

• Like 5
6 hours ago, W1ll said:

I could be wrong, but this picture strongly suggests to me that you actually have a lobophyllia on your hands. Brain Coral, Lobophyllia: Saltwater Aquarium Corals for Marine Reef  Aquariums

Here is an example, does yours look similar?

I'm not big into LPS, but this was also my first thought after seeing the pic with the mouths.

• Like 2
23 hours ago, A.m.P said:

Looks like a lobo or a trachy, nice steal if they sold it at acan pricing.

I don’t remember what I paid for it. It was somewhere around 30-40 dollars.

Kinda looks like an acan echinata to me. Keep it far away from other corals until IDed for certain, many of the possibilities sting pretty aggressively. Feed once or twice a week with a meaty frozen food, and it should do well and grow. It'll shape itself up more properly with time.

• Like 1