ReefCleaners.org

Identification of algae/bacteria in reef tank

RaymondNoodles

RaymondNoodles

Hello, and happy new year! I am looking for help identifying and eradicating whatever has been growing on the sandbed, pretty consistently since the tank was set up 6 months ago. It has looked better since I've stopped feeding pellets and cut back on feeding slightly overall. Now I strictly feed frozen (Rod's reef). It's only visible on the sandbed and seems to build up in this back corner of the tank. A week ago I added a power head to increase flow to that area but it doesn't seem to be helping. I do 20% water changes about every 10 days at which time I try to vacuum the very top layer of sandbed. Corals all look healthy, livestock is healthy.

Filtration - Had been using filter floss and changing every 5 days, but recently stopped 3 weeks ago. Currently only have 2" round bio sphere media which I leave alone. Now I only run filter floss right after cleaning the sandbed or causing a disturbance.

From my research I am guessing cyano, and based on the consistent nitrates/phosphates over the last 6 months I don't think it's dinos.

Phosphates highest reading has been .1, but average is .07.

Nitrates highest reading has been 12, but average is 8

Temp 78

SG 1.025

PH 8.2

ATO w/ RODI

Waterbox cube 20

Imagitarium pacific ocean water

In the video you can see a good amount of flow hitting the area.

37579453-83AE-4953-8B5A-662FE8C9A0F0.thumb.jpeg.4ffc4f130010c1456255b82884e7c8e3.jpeg

Thanks in advance! Happy reefing!

196D26ED-EE1D-4932-B8FD-1916C8D64A1C.jpeg

Yep cyano. It usually burns itself out but 6 months sounds like a long time. What are you using for nutrient export? If you're carbon dosing that can feed cyano. Other than that you can use chemi-clean to get rid of it but like all treatments it has its downsides.

• Like 1
Critteraholic

I have found that my banded trochus snails will eat cyano.  You may have to vacuum up the large patches up in the beginning till they get settled, but totally worth it. Love my trochus!

• Like 2
RaymondNoodles
15 hours ago, Maas101 said:

Yep cyano. It usually burns itself out but 6 months sounds like a long time. What are you using for nutrient export? If you're carbon dosing that can feed cyano. Other than that you can use chemi-clean to get rid of it but like all treatments it has its downsides.

I am not carbon dosing although I've considered trying it. I've also never used chemi-clean. From what I understand, treatments such as chemi-clean are only a crutch and don't address the underlying issue (over-feeding, too few water changes). I suppose you can say I've taken the natural approach and have challenged myself to figure things out without using "bandaids". However, I am considering adding a protein skimmer.

RaymondNoodles
12 hours ago, Critteraholic said:

I have found that my banded trochus snails will eat cyano.  You may have to vacuum up the large patches up in the beginning till they get settled, but totally worth it. Love my trochus!

Thanks. I actually have 1 banded trochus snail and he is quite the little machine. Maybe I will add 1 or 2 more to my snail sanctuary lol. 

• Like 1