Coral Vue Hydros

Any tips setting up sump flow?

Bldgengineer

Bldgengineer

Now that I have every running smooth where do I take water out for a water change? If I take it from the DT it will go below the overflow weir. Do I just take it from the DT and restart the siphon?

You can take it from wherever, but if you take out enough for the pump to run dry, you should turn it off for the water change.  Simplest in terms of access is probably remove from DT with pump off, then turn pump on and fill from the sump.

2 hours ago, Bldgengineer said:

I finally have the flow right in the sump! Only issue I have is the overflow box is gurgling pretty loud. Any tips on getting it quiter?

Is the drain 100% open?  🙂 

If it's 100% open AND it's loud, then you have too much flow for your plumbing setup.  Slowing down the pump could be the simplest solution.

What pump are you using?

In addition, it's possible that the valve (and maybe other "extras") you have on the drain is restricting the flow even when 100% open.  Restrictions will cause noise compared to a straight pipe to the sump.

Can you post a pic or two of your whole plumbing setup from top to bottom?

1 hour ago, Bldgengineer said:

Now that I have every running smooth where do I take water out for a water change? If I take it from the DT it will go below the overflow weir. Do I just take it from the DT and restart the siphon?

You don't want to break your drain siphon at all, ever, if possible.

And it doesn't matter where you take the water change water from (make it the most convenient place to you), but you may have to shut off the system to do a water change at all thanks to the tiny return chamber.  From the pic, I estimate that you'll only be able to change less than 2 gallons...maybe closer to 1...before the return chamber gets too low. 

FYI...

For "smoother sailing" I'd probably remove baffles 1, 2 and 3, just leaving the wall for the filter socks.  More of your sump's space would be usable, and more accessible.  Use your ATO sensor to set the level for your protein skimmer, if you intend on using a skimmer.  Also, use the largest mesh size that works for the filter socks – you're not really trying to filter anything with them, you're mostly just minimizing bubbles from the drain getting into the sump.  If you actually use them for filtering, and "waste" actually collects, then you have created an unnecessary cleaning task AND you'll be stealing food from your corals. (Assuming you intend on having corals.)

• Like 1
jefferythewind
7 hours ago, Bldgengineer said:

I finally have the flow right in the sump! Only issue I have is the overflow box is gurgling pretty loud. Any tips on getting it quiter?

Yes that sounds about right! Same here, haven't solved the gurgling but at times it quiets down on its own.

• Like 1
3 hours ago, jefferythewind said:

Yes that sounds about right! Same here, haven't solved the gurgling but at times it quiets down on its own.

Throttle back the flow a little until it's silent.  👍

• Like 2
Bldgengineer

FYI. I completely forgot I had a cover for the overflow box. I put that on and the gurgle sound went down dramatically lol

i did my water change from the DT. I just unplugged everything first then plugged it back in when I was done. 

• Like 1
23 hours ago, Bldgengineer said:

What was the solution to getting the right flow?

Bldgengineer
1 hour ago, PeterU said:

What was the solution to getting the right flow?

I started the siphon with the ball valve closed. Then I opened it all the way and backed it off just slightly and it just happen to fall in place. 

Bldgengineer
1 hour ago, DevilDuck said:

It takes a while for the sump to quiet down. Just like a skimmer, biofilm has to form on all the surfaces before it runs completely silent. 

Funny thing, I completely forgot I had a cover for the overflow box 🤣🤣