Top Shelf Aquatics

10 gal jbj

Crusher895

Hi guys so I am planning on getting a 2nd tank, not set on one tank yet though. So I have been making spreadsheets and kind of planning out how much it would cost and what I would get for tanks that I am interested in. So right now I am planning a 10 gal JBJ flat top rimless tank, from what I have seen and heard from others the back chambers are kinda small and can be pretty loud. I was looking at other options came across the Seachem Tidal 35 as a HOB filter and the Finnex FugeRay HOB as a refugium. I thought about maybe running both one with mechanical/chemical filtration and the other biological filtration. Do you think it might be over successful and lead to orther problems maybe even some levels bottoming out? (Still kinda new to this hobby btw)

Edit: Also I have a 32 gal biocube and I want to get a pygmy wrasse either the yellow banded possum wrasse or tanaka's pygmy wrasse, I usually buy all my inverts and fish from live aquaria but they never have either of these in stock. None of the lfs have any or will get either anytime soon, so I looked up online if any other stores are selling them and they were for less money! But my question is are online services considered reliable besides liveaquaria?

8 hours ago, Crusher895 said:

Hi guys so I am planning on getting a 2nd tank, not set on one tank yet though. So I have been making spreadsheets and kind of planning out how much it would cost and what I would get for tanks that I am interested in. So right now I am planning a 10 gal JBJ flat top rimless tank, from what I have seen and heard from others the back chambers are kinda small and can be pretty loud. I was looking at other options came across the Seachem Tidal 35 as a HOB filter and the Finnex FugeRay HOB as a refugium. I thought about maybe running both one with mechanical/chemical filtration and the other biological filtration. Do you think it might be over successful and lead to orther problems maybe even some levels bottoming out? (Still kinda new to this hobby btw)

Edit: Also I have a 32 gal biocube and I want to get a pygmy wrasse either the yellow banded possum wrasse or tanaka's pygmy wrasse, I usually buy all my inverts and fish from live aquaria but they never have either of these in stock. None of the lfs have any or will get either anytime soon, so I looked up online if any other stores are selling them and they were for less money! But my question is are online services considered reliable besides liveaquaria?

Buying local gives you the ability to select healthy fish.  It does take some practice to learn as an art, but the basics are obvious....fish that don't look healthy aren't healthy.

Buying from someone remotely, your only protection is a guarantee that they will give you another fish to kill if the first one they send is killed. (Doub le check that even this protection is offered.)   Kinda of a shallow deal when you think about it.  Will they just let the fish die in their tanks or will the ship to you "in case it does better outside the store"?   You can't know....but that is a motivation.

If you're lucky enough to have a local saltwater store – many of us are not so lucky – it's much better to allow for a limited local selection, and just be patient and wait for the fish you want to come in stock.  Pass the time by taking care of what you have and spending the maximum amount of effort in reading and learning to get better at doing that.  Your tank will be so much more ready for that fish to come into stock locally.  👍

Being patient is the #1 most important reef skill....and sometimes one of the hardest to live by.  

Sometimes it helps to remember that Nothing Good Happens Fast In A Reef Tank.

$0.02

16 hours ago, Crusher895 said:

But my question is are online services considered reliable besides liveaquaria?

IMHO the DD at live aquaria is worth the wait for the fish you want, sign up for the DD updates and you can get a heads up on what will become available before it goes on the site.

marinecollectors is another site you can get QT'd fish, but you will pay for the extensive QT procedures.

If you can't wait for one of these vendors and want to shop local, bite the bullet and QT them yourself. There's good guides out there.

There's pros and cons to shopping at your LFS and ordering from a site that QTs. For me, whatever goes in my tank will be QT'd since I don't have the luxury of a QT tank/replacing fish on a whim (no LFS within hours).

19 minutes ago, TheKleinReef said:

MHO the DD at live aquaria is worth the wait for the fish you want, sign up for the DD updates and you can get a heads up on what will become available before it goes on the site.

marinecollectors is another site you can get QT'd fish, but you will pay for the extensive QT procedures.

what is DD? 

51 minutes ago, TheKleinReef said:

There's pros and cons to shopping at your LFS and ordering from a site that QTs. For me, whatever goes in my tank will be QT'd since I don't have the luxury of a QT tank/replacing fish on a whim (no LFS within hours).

Without disagreement, I'd add some thoughts to yours.

There aren't many con's with shopping local.....if you allow for patience.   You have all the power to make the transaction exactly what it needs to be, after all.

There aren't many pro's to shopping online.....except for price and selection.   Those are good bases for acquiring furniture, or maybe jewelry.  But not for acquiring animals.

In either scenario, as a buyer you have to be aware of despicable practices like keeping fish in a low-dose (ie "sub-therapeutic level) of copper that are intended for sale – this can happen locally or online.  

Fish kept this way may look perfect but are immunosuppressed AND may have a disease being suppressed as well.  Both problems will come to roost if you make the mistake of bringing them home.  These vendors are to be avoided whenever possible – and if they are your only choice, you should always assume they are selling you sick fish, no matter what they look like.  Handle them appropriately – consider counting the cost of your QT a part of the cost of the fish.  (IME these fish have the lowest possible survival rate.)

QT is a whole other topic...it is practically a stereotype as it's been promoted within the hobby.   As a result, many of us think of QT as a panacea.  (Far from it.)

In reality, QT as promoted within the hobby is rarely advisable and often causes as many "actual problems" as it "theoretically" might fix.  That's the crux of the main problem with the stereotype of QT – it is intended to be applied to healthy fish and sick fish alike....so it is actually quite mindless, which you can imagine is never the best approach to husbandry.

If you're going to QT:

• Use a tank large enough for the fish – most guides call for tiny tanks around 10 gallons, which is only good for tiny fish.
  • Having an AmmoAlert badge is smart.
  • Outfit the tank as a nice fish tank with some fake plants and a live rock or two – not as a bare-bones treatment tank.   Bare tanks are stressful for them to live in...they shouldn't be in this kind of tank for more than the treatment time.....which hopefully is no more than a day or two.
  • Use the QT foremost for observation, not medication – a fish that isn't obviously getting worse over the course of a week or two, isn't going to get any worse and should be moved to the display tank.
  • Do not medicate vs anything that you haven't AT LEAST been able to see with your two good eyeballs.  Don't medicate "on suspicion" as it will do nothing but weaken your fish.
  • While you're adding new fish to the system, UV and micron filtration should be mandatory on the QT as well as the display.  The same filters can be cleaned and used on the display if it's one group of fish being moved.  Otherwise it will be best to have this filtration on both systems.
  • In the unlikely event that a fish does display signs of disease, your LFS will be the nearest, fastest source of medications.  If no separate hospital tank is available, treatment can be done in a QT, though some meds are much easier to use if a separate tank is available.
  • These are the same steps your LFS *should be* using to enable them to sell you healthy fish....feel free to recommend these practices.  The LFS "should be" your QT.

For more in-depth info, check out The Fish Guide that I put together a while back.  Includes solid science- and practical experience-based info on handling fish.  It's not comprehensive – it complements the books and other reading you've hopefully done on the topic.  🙂 

On 12/27/2021 at 9:57 AM, TheKleinReef said:

IMHO the DD at live aquaria is worth the wait for the fish you want, sign up for the DD updates and you can get a heads up on what will become available before it goes on the site.

On 12/27/2021 at 1:35 AM, mcarroll said:

Buying from someone remotely, your only protection is a guarantee that they will give you another fish to kill if the first one they send is killed. (Doub le check that even this protection is offered.)   Kinda of a shallow deal when you think about it.  Will they just let the fish die in their tanks or will the ship to you "in case it does better outside the store"?   You can't know....but that is a motivation.

Sorry guys I really appreciate the advice and I think I will put it to use in the future, but my interest in this fish is off the charts so I decided to buy one online from saltwaterfish.com. Probably one of the most dangerous and risky thing I have done in this hobby, ended up spending $150 on the fish itself in total. When it arrived it wasn't looking great but it definitely was not looking bad. I also decided not to quarantine it and on top of that before parameter acclimation I forgot to temp acclimate the bag! But so far so good, he ate rod's food krill+ and ate some tigger pods I added to the tank the day after. Now he is sticking and gliding around the rockwork like any normal wrasse and does not look to have any simptoms of sickness, disease, or sunken belly. IMO I think I just got extremely lucky with this fish, he is pretty big, maybe around 2- 2 1/2 inches so probably wont grow much more but yeah. (He has been getting bullied by my clown pair a little  bit I believe, I have only seen them charge at him like maybe 2-3 times but has not nipped at him).

• Like 2
36 minutes ago, Crusher895 said:

(He has been getting bullied by my clown pair a little  bit I believe, I have only seen them charge at him like maybe 2-3 times but has not nipped at him).

So far so good, but you have to keep an eye on this....it's likely that neither one will relent (no place to go in a 10 gallon), and the clown will win.

• Like 1
8 hours ago, mcarroll said:

So far so good, but you have to keep an eye on this....it's likely that neither one will relent (no place to go in a 10 gallon), and the clown will win.

Oh sorry I should have been more clear, I got him for my 32g biocube.

• Thanks 1