Cultivated Reef

Hitchhiker coral? On toad frag

BioBoy16

Anyone have any idea what this is? Seems to have a neon green mat and small orange/brown flower like polyps that come out from time to time. Came in on a toadstool frag. The polyps (if that's what they are) are mostly retracted in this pic. I can get some better pics when the main lights come on later today if needed. I can see the little orange flower looking polyps sway in the current as well. 

Some digging has me thinking it's an encrusting Monti. Seems to look like the forest fire morph. But all the leathers were in a different tank no where near the sps frags. These frags had some really nice coraline algea on them and scooped them to seed my new tank so I guess it is possible they are older frags that have been sitting somewhere in the LFS for some time. I don't mind it as long as its not a pest but this particular toadstool isn't doing too hot compared to my other toad nearby. Other toad seems to be standing tall and already growing. This one kind of just stays shriveled and polyps come out for only a short time before popping back in. My zoas and two lps frags (duncan and organ pipe) also seem to be adjusting well too and my tank parameters all seem to be normal. Wondering if this little guy might be to blame. Also not entirely sure an sps would even survive in my tank atm given its newly cycled and it would only be under stock biocube 16 lighting. 20211225_234932.thumb.jpg.c6cf8188cb400eeac9f986b5fe021a32.jpgW.e it is its coloring up well and the neon green is striking and the flower like "polyps" seem to be getting more orange. Corals were dipped and accumulated appropriately so hoping w.e this is that survived isn't harmful. 

Thanks in advance guys and this is my first post so please let me know if there is anything else I should list/say when posting. Happy holidays all. 

3 hours ago, jambon said:

Look up leptastrea coral... did I spell that right? The polyp size is similar... they look too big for a monti.

Thanks for the input. Definitely could be that. Makes more sense than a Monti. I read they sting other corals too. Maybe while that mushroom never seems too happy. I may try and break that part of the frag off and put it on its own little island just to be sure. Thanks again!

• 3 weeks later...