SaltCritters.com

Help! Getting micro bubbles

traderdan

I have a ton of micro bubbles and can’t figure out where they are coming from. I’m not currently running a skimmer. I have a return pump, power head and water is where it should be. I’m lost here. 

D12B1218-FBEE-4047-8CD5-16AF662449A9.jpeg

0733FF20-F929-4AC0-8423-E3D90CDE0C52.jpeg

This can happen when some microorganisms start grow on filter floss.

Replace it as soon as micro bubbles start (in severe cases it could be twice a day), or use some sludge remover to solve underlying problem.

It's usually water falling over/through filter media or running through your media immediately before falling. If the media is nasty, replace it. If it isn't, adjust it so water flows through it before it falls over weirs. This happens all the time when I place media between sump chambers if it's too close to the weir. Adjusting it just an inch is normally enough to fix the problem.

I've had floss and even media bags cause this (though usually between the skimmer and return sections). Just needs a little adjustment.

You can't prevent all microbubbles (nor would you want to, smaller bubbles means more surface area and more oxygenation), so you need to make sure they have time to dissolve or or surface before being returned to the DT.

• Like 1