Coral Vue Hydros

HOB overflow drain

Bldgengineer

21 minutes ago, Bldgengineer said:

How do I hook up a drain line to the bulkhead? I feel like I'm missing something and I'm drawing a complete blank

two common ways:

1. hard PVC is glued directly into the bulkhead and into the sump.

2. a barbed fitting is cemented into the bulk head, tubing is attached to that barbed fitting (usually secured with some form of hose clamp)then ran into the sump.

• Like 2
31 minutes ago, Bldgengineer said:

Thanks. I’ll be heading to the hardware store tomorrow 

there's various ways to set up a drain, but they all need to be able to handle whatever the return pump is pushing out. also especially with HOB overflow boxes.

There's usually a small pump that creates a siphon as well.

Which overflow box are you using?  Post a pic if you're not sure.

A 1" gravity drain (ie your overflow box) can silently carry up to about 600 GPH.

As long as you don't go overkill on your return flow, you should have no problems.   Remember that you don't need more than 2x to 4x your display size in actual GPH.  So if you have a 60 gallon tank, 120-240 GPH is all you're shooting for.

Holler if you need help picking the correct flow pump.  Just tell us what size tank and how long (in feet or whatever) the plumbing will be to get to the tank.

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

Might up to 300-400gph per Sicce's flow chart.   Depending on the exact plumbing in place you might measure something lower at the return outlet.  Seems about right for flow rate.   For what it's worth, even a Syncra 1 would do the trick if you (e.g.) needed a smaller pump or wanted it to use less power. 👍

• Like 1