ReefCleaners.org

Future coral stocking and placement suggestions

CMuentener

I’m looking for some  coral stocking and placement suggestions for my 20 gallon system. It’s been running for about a year.  I’ve got a simple system, with an overflow box and a 10 gallon refugium.  Currently I’m lighting with PC’s on timers for about 9 hours of daylight. Although I’m planning on upgrading to Red Sea 50 soon.  I do 3 gallon weekly water changes and top off sump w/ Rodi water.  Let me know what would help me fill in this reef.

51B76C21-C78F-4759-BA20-F589664B00F8.jpeg

EF57CC0A-6A9A-4DAB-A1B2-55D39B41677E.jpeg

6 hours ago, CMuentener said:

Currently I’m lighting with PC’s on timers for about 9 hours of daylight. Although I’m planning on upgrading to Red Sea 50 soon.

That's a big change....I do not recommend doing it without the aid of a light meter....even a cheapie lux meter ($7 and up) would be better than nothing/guessing.

Your LED's should look dimmer at the same intensity level as your PC's.   Tank looks great BTW, too bad you have to switch!  (I understand completely tho.)

I can't recommend anything....to me this reef looks like it's full, just needs time to grow in now.  🥰

Don't forget light acclimation after replacing light, running it at much lower intensity than it is capable of. Better be safe than sorry.

• Meteor shower cyphastrea grows fast. Should become palm sized in months. Usually placed in lower lighting.
  • Candycane and other trumpets: if you intend to allow the grow into a colony, reserve space for 6"x6" ball with some space around for a night extension.
  • Keep palythoa away from main rock.
  • If the coral under top rock is acan, it could use more light and better to be accessible for a target feeding.

Nice tank!