Pod Your Reef

Crocea Clams

dling

I have 2 sm crocea clams. Approx 2-2.5 inches. They have bonded together at the foot. Not sure how to separate them.

I dont want to cause any harm and their doing great as they are. It just is that I would like them to be further apart.

• Like 1
41 minutes ago, dling said:

I have 2 sm crocea clams. Approx 2-2.5 inches. They have bonded together at the foot. Not sure how to separate them.

I dont want to cause any harm and their doing great as they are. It just is that I would like them to be further apart.

I wouldn’t try to separate them…… it could result in damage to one or both “feet”. 

• Like 2
1 hour ago, WV Reefer said:

I wouldn’t try to separate them…… it could result in damage to one or both “feet”. 

That's what I'm afraid of.. I should not have let them get so close to each other.

• Like 1

If you're going to separate them, you could to take a razor blade and scape the base of their byssal threads to slowly remove them from each other (it won't hurt them, think of it like clipping your fingernail). Personally I'd just leave them alone though. 

1 hour ago, dling said:

That's what I'm afraid of.. I should not have let them get so close to each other.

I would just keep checking them. They could decide to change position and let go of each other. 

• 1 month later...