Coral Vue Hydros

Best Nano Skimmers

Nixperience

I’ve noticed a lot of people on here using the eshoppes nano skimmer, but it has a lot of bad reviews. I’m wondering what the best options are for AIO chambers, probably IM tanks. I’m considering the lagoon 25 for my next tank. 

What are peoples thoughts on the best skimmer options?

eshoppes, aquamaxx, tunze, IM, reef octopus, bubble magus, etc? 

I'd suggest looking up threads where folks have used them in that tank or a similar one and see what experiences they had.

All else being equal, I tend to pick the maker with the longest track record since they should have had the most time to "get it right".

• Like 2

I have owned five  skimmers so far . Skimmer 1 innovative marine pipeless skimmer/ complete junk. #2 Innovative ghost skimmer/ also completely useless.#3&4 cadlights pls50 and 50 elite/ both worked but required constant adjustment of water level. Skimmer 5 icecap nano so far is great makes a ton of foam and haven’t had to fiddle with it daily. Only drawback is air intake is kind of loud and the included bracket doesn’t fit 

• Thanks 1
Kindanewtothis

I have a tunze 9001, works well.

It was releasing a lot of micro bubbles the first weeks but not anymore.

Mine doesn't start if you don't blow air in the tube.

• Like 2
3 hours ago, Kindanewtothis said:

I have a tunze 9001, works well.

It was releasing a lot of micro bubbles the first weeks but not anymore.

Mine doesn't start if you don't blow air in the tube.

How long have you had it and how many times has it been cleaned?

Cleaning can make a huge difference even if it's just dirty with slime.  But if there's been any degree of calcium precipitation in the impeller well (likely over time) that also matter, and is hard to detect.  Only the worst degree of calcium precipitation will be visible without drying the parts out completely.  When dry you'll be able to see thinner calcium films.

I would suggest using either vinegar or coffeemaker cleaner (another acid) and some elbow grease to remove any deposits you find.

If the unit is older and you don't find that the deep-cleaning helps, it could be time for a new impeller.  Around $15, so a cheap fix.

If the unit is newish, then it should still be under warranty and you should call/email Tunze support...they should get it straightened out.

Kindanewtothis
3 minutes ago, mcarroll said:

How long have you had it and how many times has it been cleaned?

Cleaning can make a huge difference even if it's just dirty with slime.  But if there's been any degree of calcium precipitation in the impeller well (likely over time) that also matter, and is hard to detect.  Only the worst degree of calcium precipitation will be visible without drying the parts out completely.  When dry you'll be able to see thinner calcium films.

I would suggest using either vinegar or coffeemaker cleaner (another acid) and some elbow grease to remove any deposits you find.

If the unit is older and you don't find that the deep-cleaning helps, it could be time for a new impeller.  Around $15, so a cheap fix.

If the unit is newish, then it should still be under warranty and you should call/email Tunze support...they should get it straightened out.

I bought it in april, I could never start it without blowing in it but a the lfs they started it (mine) by shaking it a little. I don't clean it often because of the bubbles when it's not slimy.

Will try to reclean the impaler.

Was it used or new when you got it?   Sounds like it was used....or possibly just a defect.  It's rare, but it happens.

If you've never given it a deep cleaning, yeah definitely try that.  If it's fixed then it's probably less hassle than calling folks about warranties, etc.

Unless you know for sure it was used, then it should still be under warranty.  That is definitely not normal behavior for a new skimmer.

Kindanewtothis
28 minutes ago, mcarroll said:

Was it used or new when you got it?   Sounds like it was used....or possibly just a defect.  It's rare, but it happens.

If you've never given it a deep cleaning, yeah definitely try that.  If it's fixed then it's probably less hassle than calling folks about warranties, etc.

Unless you know for sure it was used, then it should still be under warranty.  That is definitely not normal behavior for a new skimmer.

Supposed to be brand new.

• Like 1
Kindanewtothis

It's christmas!!!!

Got the apocyclops pods

Got the pink hammer (2 heads)

Radioactive zoas

Plus:

1 mystery zoa frag

1 mystery frag that I don't know and can't read the name any help (see pic)

20211221_141226.jpg

20211221_141131.jpg

• Like 1