SaltCritters.com

Flow questions

InAtTheDeepEnd

InAtTheDeepEnd

5.5g tank (probably more like 4g with substrate/live rock displacement). 66gph pump.... Is that not enough? The pump itself just died and I don't know whether to buy one with the same turnover or more; but I was leaning towards more. 

Get yourself a Tunze 6040. They are very versatile little pumps and can be used with or without the flow deflector. I use them in little tanks without the deflector mounted low in a corner. I like to switch it up occasionally from pulsing to wave mode. 

• Like 2
8 hours ago, InAtTheDeepEnd said:

5.5g tank (probably more like 4g with substrate/live rock displacement). 66gph pump.... Is that not enough? The pump itself just died and I don't know whether to buy one with the same turnover or more; but I was leaning towards more. 

Are you talking about a circulation pump or a return pump?  A pic or two might help.

A pic of the pump.   (Tank too if you want.) 

If it's from a filter, then it's unlikely to be a circulation pump....very likely to be a utility/hobby pump.

A circulation pump generally looks like a fan.

A utility pump looks like a box with one or two hose connections on it.

Judging from the GPH it's a utility pump....in that case I'd replace it with the same thing that's in there now.  That way you know it will fit.