Top Shelf Aquatics

Duncan suddenly closed.

1st reef

3 minutes ago, 1st reef said:

Got this Duncan on Saturday and was doing great till this afternoon. 

Came home after work today  and noticed its closed. Spot fed yesterday mysis shrimp. Normal behavior? 

IMG_20211215_165246.jpg

IMG_20211215_165242.jpg

IMG_20211215_164556.jpg

Could it just be mad because that hermit is molesting it?

I had that happen the last week after a Meaty shrimp meal the day before.  Duncan came back to normal within a day or two. If you look online it's somewhat commom they can do this. 

Mine bunch away sometimes if I do a tank cleaning too.  It's a hearty coral that can at times be moody. 

I wish you had it a little longer than since Saturday though.  Not enough time to know if it likes  your tank. You can keep these anywhere, but I was told when I put it in my tank start in the sand and move it up as it acclimated. I just moved mine to the top of rockwork this week.

Maybe put it in sandbed and leave it alone for a while to see how it responds.  Do you have other corals. how are they doing?  Nitrate / Phos  levels?

less than bread

Duncans can be sensitive or finicky like that but they open back up as quickly as they hide away. Overall they are a hardy coral and it's fun to watch them grow. I feel like mine will close up sometimes if I look at it funny.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Good to hear it opened. Since it gets large amounts of food in a short time (by eating chunks of food), it has the option of staying closed for a while.

• Wow 1