ReefCleaners.org

zoas starving for light?

NanoBob

The three polyps on the left seem to be stretching towards the light.  I'm not sure why or if this is a problem.  Usually this behavior is related to not enough light, but these are in my 13.5 EVO under a AI Prime 16HD.  Which is on 8 hours a day.

Are they too close to the small group of different zoas next to them?  Other than how far they are extended they seem healthy.  

Any ideas?

Cheers,

NanoBob.

20211214_151839.jpg

Not every zoa strain has the same light demands. Some light lovers of mine that come to mind are pink diamonds, pink hippos, and sunny D's.

Try moving them higher up, because your other zoa's look perfect

• Like 1

It's been my experience that they really only stretch up when getting less light than they want, and giving the more light will make them shorter in time.

What's your lighting profile look like?  While an AI Prime 16HD is a good bit for the size of the tank, if it's way high up or close and these zoas are off on a fringe, it could be less than you think.  I've also made the mistake of thinking my photoperiod was X hours while including substantial sunrise and sunset ramps, so if you have two hours of ramp on either side of your profile, you may have effectively more like 6 hours of full power in your schedule.

• Like 1

Yep it's a lighting and flow thing..

Low flow / low light will make them long and stringy looking. Higher flow and light will keep them compact.

If your feeding them (broadcast feeding the tank is fine) then they can survive and grow just fine in lower light / flow..

I moved my bullseyes on purpose so that the would stretch out, they look really nice when reaching upward... Some zoas look just sick and minging unless they are compact tight little colonies...

• Like 2
17 hours ago, DaJMasta said:

It's been my experience that they really only stretch up when getting less light than they want, and giving the more light will make them shorter in time.

What's your lighting profile look like?  While an AI Prime 16HD is a good bit for the size of the tank, if it's way high up or close and these zoas are off on a fringe, it could be less than you think.  I've also made the mistake of thinking my photoperiod was X hours while including substantial sunrise and sunset ramps, so if you have two hours of ramp on either side of your profile, you may have effectively more like 6 hours of full power in your schedule.

UV 116

V 116

RY 88

B 88

G 7

DR 7

ML 0

CW 47

These are recommended settings from BRS for a tank this size.  The light is 10 inches from the surface.  I only have 30 minutes of ramp up and down time, so full day time of 7 hours.  Which may not be enough.  These zoas are about 6 inches from the surface.

Thanks for the input,

Cheers,

Bob.