Cultivated Reef

Return for HOB Overflow???

Dave J

Hi folks,

I have a questions for people who are running hang-on-back overflows - what are you doing for the return? 

I can find lots of HOB overflow products (I am leaning towards a Lifereef system) but I can't really find anything that looks good for an over-the-rim return setup. Eshopps makes a plastic U return but the reviews say it's really cheap and thin plastic. I need something that will be reliable and secure for a 30 gallon rimless tank - the last thing I want is the return nozzle failing and spraying salt water all over the place! 

I was thinking of trying order replacement return parts for a cannister filter (like Fluval) because those at least seem pretty reliable.

Thanks!

1 hour ago, Jaren45 said:

Just some schedule 40 pvc painted black works well. A 3/4" elbow contraption isn't too bulky especially when compared to the hob overflow

+1 I did this back in the day worked like a charm. Don't forget about having a siphon air hole when the power goes out.

• Like 1