Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Hello Everyone! My first SW tank 10gal

10gallonReefer

filefishfinatic
13 minutes ago, 10gallonReefer said:

I don’t want sand. My flow causes sandstorms and I just didn’t like the look. Thanks for the suggestion tho

crushed coral would work, it has a larger grain size so it wont flow around. 

9 minutes ago, TheKleinReef said:

I will admit, not having any pests is soooooo nice.

I'm guessing you quarantine everything that goes into tank for No Pests.

I went dry rock / dry sand for pest-free tank too.  So far I don't have any " identified " pests, but I do have strange creatures show up from unknown origin.  I got bubble algae with a coral frag ( that I quickly knocked off per advice of LFS as to how to do it ), and I found 2 uknown creatures just this morning ( Not a regular occurence, but it does happen )

I don't know if  linked creatures qualify as pests, but keeping your reef free of fish & corals only I would think requires one to QT everything that goes in.   

• Like 1
22 minutes ago, 10gallonReefer said:

I don’t want sand. My flow causes sandstorms and I just didn’t like the look. Thanks for the suggestion tho

I am currently also going no sand and so far it definitely is helpful when identifying spots of low flow or dead spots where detritus accumulates.  Good luck with the tank!  I look forward to watching it progress.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
45 minutes ago, Jakesaw said:

I'm guessing you quarantine everything that goes into tank for No Pests.

For Coral I dip and put it in. I should Qt though but I don’t want to maintain two tanks. 
red bugs still managed to get in but after interceptor I haven’t seen any sign of them. 

i meant more of no aptasia, weird algaes, or big critters. 

• Like 2

Love three stripes as well, they get biggish but I can't say it'll be too much an issue as a sole-inhabitant. 

Best of luck with the system, all mine are barebottom and started with dry rock as well.

• Like 1
10gallonReefer
1 hour ago, A.m.P said:

Looks like a BOP, light green base and purple polyps.

I was leaning that way but no given ID… I hate to assume anything these days lol

• Like 2
10gallonReefer
1 hour ago, filefishfinatic said:

i would introduce some calerupa or sea lettuce. your urchin will require a lot of algae to eat and survive 

I have nori to supplement feeding

• Like 2
  • 2 weeks later...
10gallonReefer

So quick update….

Lost the birdsnests no idea why…Monti Caps are doing great.

Upgrades:

Kessil A160 w/ controller 

Stocking:

3stripe Damsel

Maroon Clown

Blue Tuxedo Urchin

Purple Tip Pincushion Urchin

4 Astrea snails

1 Red Monti Cap

1 Lavender/green Monti Cap

1 Purple Torch green tip

1 Branching Peach Hammer

1 Duncan

1 War Coral favia

starting larger tank soon so don’t call the police on me for to many fish🤷🏻‍♂️

5A6631C5-3680-46CF-A5D5-50F3608F71F3.jpeg

• Like 1
10gallonReefer
47 minutes ago, Jakesaw said:

You got two grower fish in that 10 gallon.  

Tank looks good though.  

There’s a total of 2” of fish in the tank my guys are little…I have plenty of time to get the 51gal settup(it comes in from drilling mid January)

Cool! Very similar set up to my current experiment/setup except your doing bare bottom. This may be a good comparison as I had very good experience with a shallow gravel bottom. I used Dr Tim's one and only, and added some hardy non-leathers early on with an eye out for frag hitchhikers. Mine has been up for a little over 3 months now. 

935DDDF0-D61A-4B68-98F4-339113F91342.jpeg

• Like 1
10gallonReefer
14 hours ago, Ohmegg said:

Cool! Very similar set up to my current experiment/setup except your doing bare bottom. This may be a good comparison as I had very good experience with a shallow gravel bottom. I used Dr Tim's one and only, and added some hardy non-leathers early on with an eye out for frag hitchhikers. Mine has been up for a little over 3 months now. 

935DDDF0-D61A-4B68-98F4-339113F91342.jpeg

I’ve been up for 6 weeks or so… I used brightwell and pretty much everything I can from them… polyp labs for feeding corals

16 minutes ago, 10gallonReefer said:

I’ve been up for 6 weeks or so… I used brightwell and pretty much everything I can from them… polyp labs for feeding corals

I wish I had measured nutrients earlier and adjusted them up.  Going the slow natural route with dry rock and too little bioload was a bit of a headache.  But good learning experience though.  

On 12/23/2021 at 5:26 PM, 10gallonReefer said:

birdsnests

These guys are very touchy, but strong fast growing corals once they settle in....I lost one overnight due to a (at least IMO) change in water flow.

On 12/23/2021 at 5:26 PM, 10gallonReefer said:

Kessil A160 w/ controller 

Nice!

Tank is looking good so far!!

• Thanks 1