inTank Media Baskets

New 75 Gallon Build

kribbz

Ok folks I'm asking for a little help here.   I've had my IM30L setup for 18 months now.  Everything is stable and growing but I have reached the limit for this little AIO and got a great deal on a used 75 with stand.  I'm going to "take my time" on setting up the new tank with the holidays approaching so I'm looking for some ideas.   I was hoping I could ask some questions of the group here to get some good feedback.  I read in the background but don't post a lot.  I like a good mixed reef with SPS, LPS and zoa's/shrooms in the shaded areas.  

The tank is undrilled, I was thinking about the Eshopps Prodigy L 900 gallon for a box and then two returns on the outer edges of the tank.  

For the sump I was going to do a 29 gallon triton setup.  This would give me a fuge underneath and a skimmer.  I'm unsure on the skimmer at this time looking for suggestions? 

For the return pump I wanted to do a Sicce SDC 6.0 so I can dial in my tank turnover and have something super quiet.  

Lighting:  I'm putting a canopy on the tank so I can do some T5's and LED.  I have a Radion gen 2 XR30 on the lagoon.  If I can find another 2 of those used I may stick with those.  I honestly don't love the Ecosmart interface.   I was thinking about maybe doing a Reefbreeder photon 48-v2+ or some 3 AI 32's.   

Water movement: Icecap gyre 4k?   They have been out of stock for a bit but I have some time.

I know there is a ton of other stuff that I'm still trying to put together here for an equipment list but these seem to be my sticking points right now.  Trying to get some feedback. 

I think the plan sounds good.

I'm with you on the T5-LED combo. I have pure LED and the more I look at the tank the less I like it.

I have a gyre on my 65 and i'll never get one again, just not a huge fan of the interface/controller and pattern of flow.

As for a skimmer, you'll likely get 1000 different no try this one! responses, but I love my SKIMZ DC one. rips muck out of the water so consistently and easy to tune. Plus DC skimmers will grow with you, run it at less power when you have a smaller bioload, then ramp it up as you add livestock/foods.

Thanks that is good feedback.  On the gyre, if you were going to do it again which would you go with?   My buddies have been trying to talk me into the Reef Breeders because you can do a master/slave with them to create some cool patterns.   I just liked the thought of one long powerhead to reduce some of the tank clutter.  

22 minutes ago, kribbz said:

Thanks that is good feedback.  On the gyre, if you were going to do it again which would you go with?   My buddies have been trying to talk me into the Reef Breeders because you can do a master/slave with them to create some cool patterns.   I just liked the thought of one long powerhead to reduce some of the tank clutter.  

I'm a sucker for the vortechs. I hate cables in the tank and they've never failed me.