inTank Media Baskets

December 2021 Featured Reef - Snow_Phoenix's 10g Nano Reef

Christopher Marks

Christopher Marks

For December 2021 we're featuring community member @Snow_Phoenix and her incredible 10 Gallon Nano Reef!

December-2021-Featured-Reef-Profile-Promo.jpg

Tap the photo above to check out her featured reef article! You can also find Snow_Phoenix's aquarium journal in our Aquarium Journals forum to learn more about the history of this tank. Share your questions and comments for Snow_Phoenix in the comments section found at the bottom of the article!

• Like 12
  • Thanks 1
18 minutes ago, Snow_Phoenix said:

Thanks, Bana! 😊

Wow, Snow, how was I not following your 10G all this time?! I’ve been missing out! It’s getting late here, so I’ll have to read the rest of your feature tomorrow, but I love your writeup so far and your pictures are amazing! And I had no idea red pavona corals even existed - now I may need to see if I can find one… and a ricordea yuma… yours are gorgeous!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
1 hour ago, banasophia said:

Wow, Snow, how was I not following your 10G all this time?! I’ve been missing out! It’s getting late here, so I’ll have to read the rest of your feature tomorrow, but I love your writeup so far and your pictures are amazing! And I had no idea red pavona corals even existed - now I may need to see if I can find one… and a ricordea yuma… yours are gorgeous!

The pavona was very bleached when I first bought it from the store (almost white). I saw the mother colony in the store's DT and it was a dark shade of pinkish-red, so I figured the frag would return to the original color in time. Over the months, my frag turned out to develop an even darker reddish hue in my tank than the original colony. 😅

I'm too afraid to frag it atm, but if I manage to do so, I'll drop a small piece at my primary LFS. 😊👍

18 minutes ago, Murphych said:

Excellent news well done @Snow_Phoenix

Thanks! 😊

• Like 3
3 hours ago, Nano sapiens said:

Well packed and healthy looking corals!  Congrats!

I forgot to mention earlier - your TOTM tank (the one with all of the shrooms) :

20211207_142857.thumb.jpg.571b6107e4965c02004567bae56ad04d.jpg

Was the main inspiration for me to create my very own yuma pile & mushroom mountain. I had no idea yumas could even be piled together until I read your journal several years ago. 

So thank you so much for sharing your tank with all of us on this site! 🥰

• Like 3
8 hours ago, Snow_Phoenix said:

I forgot to mention earlier - your TOTM tank (the one with all of the shrooms)

was the main inspiration for me to create my very own yuma pile & mushroom mountain. I had no idea yumas could even be piled together until I read your journal several years ago. 

So thank you so much for sharing your tank with all of us on this site! 🥰

Glad that it worked out so well for you.  Hard to beat that pillowy-puffy 'I want to dive right in' look ::)

1158442962_12gMushies2082714.thumb.jpg.c8187a5aea6e405318fca89678532588.jpg

• Wow 2

Funny thing is, the best Ricordia growth, health and coloration ever was under those old 'Stunner Strips' (especially the 'Royal Blue').  When I got all fancy with the latest and greatest DIY LEDs and more flow to support SPS and such, that's when I started to have some Ric difficulties and actually lost a few (like that beautiful pink one up top). 😔

Mixed reefs...challenging to have and keep everything happy over the long term.

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, Nano sapiens said:

Funny thing is, the best Ricordia growth, health and coloration ever was under those old 'Stunner Strips' (especially the 'Royal Blue').  When I got all fancy with the latest and greatest DIY LEDs and more flow to support SPS and such, that's when I started to have some Ric difficulties and actually lost a few (like that beautiful pink one up top). 😔

Mixed reefs...challenging to have and keep everything happy over the long term.

I actually had an easier time growing corals under the outdated, cheap LEDs - they were also strips with metal brackets. Nothing fancy. I remember when I first dived into this hobby, I used T5s and had no trouble with the lights. Lately, all the lights seem...complicated to me. Wi-Fi setups are nice - until your phone software 'updates' and suddenly no longer accepts the app needed to run and adjust the light. 😞

That's why I chose a LED light which could be operated manually for this tank. I found it easier to use than my AI Prime & InLed R80. 

And yeah, I do agree keeping all the corals healthy/happy long term can be tricky if it's a mixed reef. What boosts the growth of one group of corals tends to slows down the growth of another group. Finding balance is one thing - keeping it that way is the real challenge. Still, I like having a mix of corals. Love the mix of shapes and types. 🙂 

• Like 2
9 hours ago, Snow_Phoenix said:

Still, I like having a mix of corals. Love the mix of shapes and types. 🙂 

Probably the best way to keep things interesting over the long term.

• Like 2
  • Christopher Marks unpinned this topic