Coral Vue Hydros

travoose's IM Nuvo 20

travoose

Backstory

Been around here for quite some time and had a IM10 for about 5-6 years.  However, our family just recently finished building a new house and we are moving in very soon.  With the new house came an opportunity for a new tank.  I have only ever had ten gallon tanks, but this time I wanted to double the size and go for 20 gallons (I know, not exactly setting size records).  I figured 20 gallons will double the size of what I have already known and not break the bank or take up too much room.  

With that being said, my goal is to first successfully transfer everything from my existing tank and get things re-established.  Once I get that under my belt, my goal is to look for a unique torch to add and rebuild my fish population, as it currently is at zero, as my clown passed away about a month ago.

Equipment

Tank:

-IM Nuvo Fusion 20

Stand:

-Custom from a local craft store

Light:

-AI Prime HD16

Filtration:

-15lbs of live rock (from Gulf Live Rock)

-13lbs of Pink Fiji live sand

-Chamber 1: 

-Chamber 2: 

-Chamber 3: 

Flow:

-Stock return pump

-MP10

ATO:

-Smart ATO Micro

Parameters

Salinity: 1.025
PH: 8.2
Ammonia: .25 PPM
Nitrite: 0 PPM
Nitrate: 20 PPM
Temp: 77.5 F

Stock

Fish:

-Snowflake Clown

-Smudgey Clown

-Pink Fairy Wrasse

Inverts:

-Various Snails and Hermit Crabs

Coral:

-Green Star Polyps

-Mushrooms

-Various Zoanthids

-Frogspawn 

-Trumpet

-Acan

-Torch

Current Status

Settling in and letting things take root/even out.

• 3 weeks later...

Finally got moved in and setup the tank with new stand.  Was also able to hookup my RO/DI unit in our basement.  Hoping to move the old tank contents into the new tank between Christmas and New Year's Day.  Luckily for me I have time, as our old house is not far away from our new house and we have until January 15th until the new owners take possession of our old house.

IMG_8597.jpeg

IMG_8599.jpeg

IMG_8601.jpeg

• Like 3
  • 2 weeks later...

Finally got everything moved today.  Drove very very slowly between point A and point B.  Tried to transfer it all as fast as possible so there was not too much shock.  Only had to move coral, a starfish, and some random snails/crabs.  Sadly my two fish passed away back in late October, so decided not to replace them knowing a move was coming up. 

I will say, doubling my tank size makes my coral look so small; in my previous tank I was out of room with all the Frogspawn.  

I’m excited to let things settle down and then start adding a few fish and stocking up on a few other things.

0B80A06F-321A-47AF-8C26-214C563F854E.jpeg

9938D010-5F61-4426-B6EA-4C2A28A3750E.jpeg

67582B3E-0C3D-416A-A7C4-B984942D1302.jpeg

F2AC12C8-CC97-4895-9F12-C962C59E8A1F.jpeg

• Like 1

I just got this tank as an upgrade from a IM nuvo 10g and i love it running the same light on the tank. i got a intank basket to run a mini refugium in one of the chambers. One upgrade i recommend is some 3d skimmers that cover the over flow to raise the water level in the display portion i paid like 10$ on ebay for them it makes a huge diffrenct and adds almost a gallon more of water in the rear chamber good luck!

5 hours ago, reefer_evo5 said:

I just got this tank as an upgrade from a IM nuvo 10g and i love it running the same light on the tank. i got a intank basket to run a mini refugium in one of the chambers. One upgrade i recommend is some 3d skimmers that cover the over flow to raise the water level in the display portion i paid like 10$ on ebay for them it makes a huge diffrenct and adds almost a gallon more of water in the rear chamber good luck!

Looks like we are on the same journey.

Do you have a link to the skimmers?

On 12/30/2021 at 2:17 PM, travoose said:

Looks like we are on the same journey.

Do you have a link to the skimmers?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/174913656749?_trkparms=ispr%3D1&hash=item28b9aa97ad:g:680AAOSwaVVgqFbC&amdata=enc%3AAQAGAAACoPYe5NmHp%2B2JMhMi7yxGiTJkPrKr5t53CooMSQt2orsSDAeS9EQtjPGVfKXTxF0%2BjhQpwyHfR4K9QfTCtSEnTBQFvEnE1DVagCY4f3oH3aTJEFDVTnG7fCYQuA3hkjl%2BbGgXreTHYfNndHMx9Ma5Cyd9wE5%2BDcoMelbLQoyBGAEOWQ%2BFVzLh91HRj9rTgQgk4mf7xez4R%2BYhd1UMQspqSlBzZ%2BFQwauK6ePeZkMl4740ltKwdU6Uirm0X0wmAcwAg81guUV22nPULl9jh5tenEYT06bB3EevjXIcCl0kpoAU6oOB2QjnJbRRoIlI411VGEA0Yc9FedH%2B%2FAbKSlw%2B7ZAK6lzXHGeV4%2BF9wl8%2FQnXlUDIUhYJmdFrM%2Fd0Bo%2BhaVENLjCTQAZzVKcd0S5oZH%2FWSFn8P5ahw6jjSvIBZv4GUJa%2BdIDyEtix5UzaDkuBo6HkE6jh6rOwyOwpfqnIZJ8CjBCzPGr591jpy0%2Fa8UGfY9%2BTSJq4nscQhA3osK6o%2Fk8byFPp59mau8yx%2BCm%2BC6ZfBSy7kuhYgyiq4PszlZVWpitxl2Vps2vTs5iJ%2BCGPA8d9L%2BhnqPjdZ2c7dgP0bFKmFsDnKPnk%2FhQ3oYL0otc54PHnAtELTXjdT12CSxcVrCKtjm3PlxDu%2F3GFhLP9OCjoOW3R7pq5NQ7g3soesf3cmoibEMlq3UNsHtGzJQwnMCLqNP2NjxCK4hJZS5%2F6e%2FoMJ1eUP8siiCHnLlabH6uI0z5%2BgClvgUU5yp%2BymrK0%2F8fcBekTmW0vy2E3YqArw0gXr%2Bq2allEpwxDnJZVnYXuPb7afk0Wz1LRV0Eam7Vs0tsQTj%2Bd8WJ98jRwrxkriI5TeWiwm1OdPqc06PWbtuTbCNGmxVBnOB0rIn%2F2Bx1eWSg%3D%3D|clp%3A2334524|tkp%3ABFBMruLYh8Zf

this is the link to the ones i got they work really well and like I said it helped raise the displays water level. I read somewhere that IM recommends that the water level can go up to the line where the engraved logo is on the top left side of the tank that's where my water level sits with those two skimmers from ebay and makes a huge difference in the display. 

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

Nice.  I saw some people selling those 3D printed overflow modifications on ETSY too.  I cut a piece of back plastic to fit over half of the overflow, drilled 2 small holes in it and attached it to the overflow on the backside with black zip ties.  It does the same thing, maybe not as professional looking as these do-hickies though ha!  I had a spare few hours and wanted to fix the issue without waiting a few days for 3D printed ones to come in the mail.  I'll take a picture and post it shortly.

• Like 2
On 1/17/2022 at 9:55 PM, KCReef said:

Nice.  I saw some people selling those 3D printed overflow modifications on ETSY too.  I cut a piece of back plastic to fit over half of the overflow, drilled 2 small holes in it and attached it to the overflow on the backside with black zip ties.  It does the same thing, maybe not as professional looking as these do-hickies though ha!  I had a spare few hours and wanted to fix the issue without waiting a few days for 3D printed ones to come in the mail.  I'll take a picture and post it shortly.

hey whatever works! following along to see the progress it does look a lot nicer when the water level is higher tho right? 

I'd like to add a third fish to tank or at least get some ideas of what I could add to the tank that would get along well with my two clowns.  I realize I could add a Blenny or a Goby, but I'd prefer to get something that won't perch, but rather would swim around a bit more.  If anyone has any ideas of something that would get along well with the two clowns and also be a bit more active in the water column, please let me know.

On 2/4/2022 at 6:50 AM, debbeach13 said:

You just never know. No guarantee but I had an orchid dotty back that was just fine with mine. He slept with them at night.

And here I have a pyscho pink streak which spends hours fighting itself in the glass, tried to fight a blackcap (and lost over and over) and beats the heck out of the poor clownfish whenever it doesn't get out of the way fast enough...

• Like 1
  • Wow 1
5 hours ago, Reefs & reptiles said:

how much did this setup cost besides the tank? what are those 2 big yellow corals 

Do you mean the livestock?  Or the equipment, sans the tank?

20 hours ago, travoose said:

Moved up in the world today…

7D980843-0280-46CB-AA91-8F8C375F887F.jpeg

9845077F-23A4-45D2-A89C-0B60C9854AAC.jpeg

I been using mine for a while now and its been great I calibrate it every three weeks simple to use and I trust it. Great choice I was using a refractometer before and it got annoying to have to place drops of water on it lol and this one gives a temperature reading so that's a plus 

1 hour ago, reefer_evo5 said:

I been using mine for a while now and its been great I calibrate it every three weeks simple to use and I trust it. Great choice I was using a refractometer before and it got annoying to have to place drops of water on it lol and this one gives a temperature reading so that's a plus 

Have you tested your salinity level from the digital vs. the standard refractometer?  I have read about variations where people say their's always tests like 1-2 below what the actual level is.

On 2/14/2022 at 12:29 PM, travoose said:

Have you tested your salinity level from the digital vs. the standard refractometer?  I have read about variations where people say their's always tests like 1-2 below what the actual level is.

yea I have sometimes on my refractometer ill get a reading of 1.024 and on the Hanna checker ill get a reading of 1.025 its only been off about 0.001ppm for me so I'm ok with completely trusting the Hanna checker alone plus recalibrating it often will also help avoid that and rinsing it with rodi water after each use too. 

• Like 1