Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

First Aquarium - Fluval Evo

Tboss11

I've recently purchased my first saltwater aquarium, a Fluval Evo 12.5 gallons.

It's been running for two weeks with live rock and sand. Current livestock is 3 nassirus snails and 2 Halloween hermit crabs.

I test the water every day, and after a water change last week finally witnessed the Ammonia and Nitrite levels increase to 0.25ppm. How long does it take to turn into Nitrate (still Oppm)? It's been at these same levels for 4 days, is this normal when cycling the tank two weeks in?

I'm still using the filter system provided with the basic Fluval Evo setup. I did add some nitriyfying bacteria during week one and water conditioner.

I've also witnessed some brown specs on the sand bed recently, doesn't look like algae so does anyone have any ideas what it is? Also how do I clean the sand bed of poo etc?

Once the Ammonia and Nitrite reduce to 0ppm and I witness an increase in Nitrate I then plan to add some fish.

These are below:

1x Clownfish.

1x Clown Goby.

1× Midas Blenny.

1x Goby / Pistol shrimp.

I'll also add some coral once I improve the lighting and get an RO/DI filter.

I'll add pictures of the tank tomorrow. Any suggestions / tips are v welcome!

chasingcorals17
2 minutes ago, PeterU said:

I think the 4 fish in your plan is too much for this tank.  I'd eliminate 2,

I agree, too many fish. I have the Fluval 13.5, same as you, and I have two ocellaris clowns and a yellow watchman goby. They produce quite a lot of waste. My CUC doesn't get everything and I find that the sand gets dirty within 5 days. I'm also very new to the hobby

What do you have as an ammonia source? A fishless cycle usually involves doing ammonium chloride to around 2ppm then adding bacteria and waiting until the cycle completes. This usually takes 2-4 weeks. Ammonia will drop first with Nitrite rising and then falling as it's processed to Nitrate.

Thanks Guys - I'll remove the Blenny and add the fish slowly.

@Maas101 - I haven't used Ammonia Chloride. Didn't find anything online saying I needed too (a mistake I am now aware off). How shall I go about this knowing my tank has been running for two weeks. Shall I just add the Ammonia Chloride and Bacteria as if it was day one for a new tank?

Also ideas on cleaning the sandbed with appropriate equipment would be appreciated!

261847632_3196534253916451_9123272441339763311_n.jpg

262547823_2109223775908612_2965751724770133670_n.jpg

As you have snails & hermits in there already I wouldn't dose ammonia, it might kill them. Clowns are hardy fish and you can cycle with them. If it was my tank I would add a single small clown and feed sparingly for the first two weeks. It will also provide food for the snails and hermits as they are both detritivores. When you start to get algae add a couple of trochus snails to keep that in check. Test ammonia frequently and be prepared to do water changes if it gets high

Edited by Maas101

Thanks Maas! Will the Full Tank Cycle still take place then if I don't add any more Ammonia Chloride/ Bacteria? ie Ammonia spike, Nitrite Spike then Nitrate Spike?

Not sure I want to submit a clown to that if so! Willing to take your word for it though...

I do also feed my CUC 2 smashed pellets. What food should I feed the clown?

Nitrite unless in extreme quantities does not harm marine fish unlike their freshwater cousins. likewise Nitrate doesn't bother them. As long as you keep Ammonia below 1ppm a clown will be fine. As you started with live rock you shouldn't need to dose additional bacteria but it can't hurt to do so. Clowns will take a wide variety of foods, pellets are fine or frozen mysis is a good choice.

Ahh okay I'll add a Clown! Should I also increase the CUC or leave as is? Would you recommend increasing water changes for the next few weeks as the tank slowly naturally cycles using just the live rock and sand?

Also would it be worth adding a protein Skimmer? 

Thanks for the wisdom!

I wouldn't add any more CUC unless you get algae at which point Trochus can be added. Don't increase water change frequency unless your ammonia starts to climb towards 1ppm the bacteria need the ammonia to reproduce. As for a protein skimmer that's a subjective question and depends to a large extent upon your long term goals for the tank as well as your chosen method of nutrient export, but while you're cycling the answer is no.

So I decided to add a tiny bit of Ammonia Chloride to speed up the cycle process. Ammonia has been at 1ppm for the last 3 days, whilst Nitrite has remained 0ppm. I've been adding bacteria daily and did a 20% water change. Still no change 😞

How long should it take before I expect to see an increase in Nitrite and Nitrate and Ammonia go down?

Thanks!

You're going to need more patience.

Leave it alone, and it will cycle. Stop doing water changes, stop dosing. It sometimes takes a month or two. 

You can also go purchase wet live rock from your lfs to speed up the process.

• Like 1

Great Help Guys! 

I'll leave my tank alone for a week and begin testing the water then. Will document with pictures adding fish once the water is fully cycled.

Just did a tank reading, Ammonia 0.25ppm, Nitrite 0ppm, and Nitrate 5ppm.

What does this mean? Is my tank cycled and I should do a water change to remove final ammonia. Strange I didn't see a spike in Nitrite however haven't tested for a few days.

When can I add fish/ coral. Tank now running almost 4 weeks. 

Thanks!

1638906161199964977348941282414.jpg

On 12/2/2021 at 12:10 PM, Tboss11 said:

So I decided to add a tiny bit of Ammonia Chloride to speed up the cycle process. Ammonia has been at 1ppm for the last 3 days, whilst Nitrite has remained 0ppm. I've been adding bacteria daily and did a 20% water change. Still no change 😞

How long should it take before I expect to see an increase in Nitrite and Nitrate and Ammonia go down?

Thanks!

Adding ammonia will not speed anything up.  It will just make your tank more toxic temporarily until the bacteria population your are trying to grow which feeds on ammonia processes it.

It's sort of like saying, I'm going to speed dinner up by ordering two large pizzas instead of one.  

42 minutes ago, Tboss11 said:

I did another test today. My Nitrite has spiked to 5PPM. How long until this gets turned to nitrate?

What day exactly did you put water in your tank, and what day the bottle bacteria and the inverts?  and how much water have you changed and how many times and on what days, and what bottle of bacteria did you dump into it, and what does it say in the directions on the bottle? 

How to Cycle a Saltwater Tank: Tips To Help You Succeed with Your New  Aquarium - Bulk Reef Supply

I think the total amounts might change a bit, but the time(days) is probably pretty accurate

And there's this article too. 

https://www.bulkreefsupply.com/content/post/md-2019-01-how-to-cycle-a-saltwater-tank-tips-to-help-you-succeed-with-your-new-aquarium

Of course there are a million but's involved as well, but I doubt anything too substantial has changed in the biology of a tank since 2019.  

@fenderchamp I first put water in the tank mid November time. Inverts roughly a week after that and bacteria a week after that. I've done two water changes since then 20% each time and plan to do one this weekend. I switched to Fluval bacteria however have long now stopped dosing.

Thanks for sending the image of cycling very handy!

Update: My nitrites have now come down to 0ppm, however my nitrates are also 0ppm? Bit strange after seeing the spikes in Ammonia and Nitrite usually. Nitrate was 0.25ppm last time I checked (3 days ago). Can it spike and reduce this quickly? Doesn't look it based on the chart.

Sadly one of my Halloween hermit crabs has also died 😞

I tested water parameters and all looks good so not sure how this happened.

You're interfering with the cycling process when you do your water changes.

Ammonia feeds one type of bacteria, nitrites feeds a 2nd slower growing type of bacteria, and the nitrate is what is removed when you do water changes.

Personally, I ignore nitrites since it's not toxic until very high levels in saltwater. 

If the Halloween hermit was in the tank during the time your ammonia was 1ppm, that's probably the reason it died.

At this point, since you already have CUC, I would add one small fish which would be your ammonia source and keep an eye on ammonia levels. 

• Like 2

I would also invest in a better test kit. Salifert or redsea are my two go to test brands. The API tests are known to be unreliable. If you're doing a fish cycle (not my fave option honestly, I'd return your current CUC to the LFS and do an ammonia cycle without livestock but it's your choice of course), you should be testing the ammonia daily to make sure the levels are low enough for your fish.

No more water changes for a bit until things are cycled because that just slows down the process. 

I also recommend leaving your lights off while cycling. There is nothing in there that needs light and it just helps keep the ugly stage at bay.

And be ready to wait, patience will always pay off in this hobby. Anything done fast usually doesn't go well long term unless done by a seasoned expert.

I had a fluval Evo too, it's a great little tank, you made a great choice. First upgrade you'll want eventually is an auto top off to keep your salinity stable because things swing quickly in little tanks which has a more drastic effect in a nano reef. 

Also read, watch videos and research before making a choice. You'll be grateful for it in the long run. And keep doing what you're doing here. Nano-reef is a terrific community and I've learned so much from the other members here so you asking questions here is a great move!

The beginning is torture but it's so worth it for all the fun you're about to get into!

• Like 1

So my hermit crabs are still alive!

They just both molted on the same day and I mistook it for there bodies. Easy mistake haha it really wasn't obvious. I will add fish after Christmas and maybe do a water change before then as the tank is now cycled. Seen spikes in both Ammonia and Nitrites, Nitrate never saw a spike however all are showing 0ppm.

• Like 2

Hi Guys, 

So my tank is now ready for fish and coral!

Here's intended my stocking list:

Fish:

1x Percula Clownfish

1x Yellow clown goby

1x Tailspot Blenny

I'd love to add a small wrasse or goby /pistol shrimp to this, but I think the tank will be overstocked so will probably wait till I increase size of the tank or give it awhile before adding. If I do add I'll include a protein Skimmer on the tank.

Inverts: (current list)

3x Nassarius Snails

2x Halloween Hermits

I would love to add some cool inverts that can help my tank. I was thinking maybe an Anemone crab / Starfish / Shrimp of some kind. Open to suggestions.

Coral:

Looking for inexpensive starter coral that can grown under the fluval evo standard light. Open to suggestions.

Any other cool ideas for the tank let me know!