SaltCritters.com

Here goes nothing......

wnuk

So today is the day that I have begun my journey into reefing...

nano reefing to be exact

I have been reading about this for a little while, and I am finally feeling crazy enough to start the tank

I have a 20 gallon tank

I am going to use this bulb

50/50 FLUORESCENT BULB -18" (15WATT) - for lighting

I have added the water and I have turned the light on and the heater is warming things up, as well as having the pump circulate the water

I am using a AQUACLEAR 150 POWER FILTER

I am not using any filtering media as I am really interested in going all natural with regular water changes

I have mixed the salt and I am going to let it sit over night before I run any tests on the tank

I am guessing I am going to be conservative and give it a few weeks before I add anything

I want to test daily or at least every second day to make sure that the take is ready to sustain ls and lr

Chances are I am going to buy them from bigall's(the store is close to my house)

I am using Instant Ocean salt

Wish me luck , and if anyone has any pointers please don't be shy

especially if I am doing something totally and completely wrong.

I know this will take a while, I am going to be very very patient

I know everyone says to plan plan plan, but i am still working on exactly what I want in the tank

I know I want 15-22 lbs of lr and 1-2 inch base of ls

but other than that I am going to research , research and more research

I will post the first pictures(fairly bland and boring) later tonight

I want to keep everyone abreadt of the goigns on if you are interested and I will attempt to journalizxe everything I do here

cheers

(wish me luck)

X)

You DEFINITELY want to shell out some $$$ for more/better lights.

Do a search in the Member tanks section and see what the 20g guys are running. I'd think you want at least 2 55w PCs.

It sucks, cause it's expensive. But you should think of the lights as the FIRST thing you get for your set up. It'll save you frustration later.

I didn't and got a 36w 50/50 PC clamp on light. Thought that was expensive @ $55. Now I know I shouldv'e invested more.

That is definetely on the to do list.

At the very top of it

I know I need better lighting, but I want to take some time and mod it myself

or too see if I can buy it on ebay

the 2 55w PC fixture is 169 CAN and if you add on 40 for two bulbs that 300 for lighting alone

i know I can either build it or get it on ebay for alot let

so I will be looking

if anyone knows where I can get some affordable lighting please let me know

thanks for the comments

You can get a jalli 2x55watt pc for 99bucks, with independent switchs,fan, and mounting stands. Sorry forgot the site, do a search on jalli, I'm sure it will come up.

By the way no need to wait to add your LR and LS. Nothing is cycling or happening until you get it in there, thats the real biological start.

Archived