Coral Vue Hydros

frogspawn question

chufa

I recently purchased some frogspawn. My first coral experience. The skeleton part is very big, and is shaped like a Y. There are tentacles coming only from one of the branches. The other two branches are empty, and have a texture like a mushroom's gills. Looked like it was cut from another colony.

Can the other branches grow tentacles? Does it attach itself to a rock, or the skeleton simply lays on top? What is the best way to propagate it, once it grows? Pics here: http://www.nano-reef.com/forums/showthread...34970#post34970

Has the one head always been bare? Even at your LFS? If so, I would guess it's probably dead. I've seen several frogs in stores with one or more empty heads. So long as the other one is healthy I wouldn't worry about it.

Your frog won't attach to anything, as it is just dead skeleton at the bottom end. Just stick it where you want it.

Branching frogspawns are easy to frag, but it takes a while. The head will bud a new one, and it will branch off from there. Once the skeleton gets long enough to ensure you won't be cutting through living tissue, you simply hack off the branch.

Archived