Cultivated Reef

Biocube 32 stocking

Nebraska

Hi I'm new to the saltwater side of the hobby so I'm looking for some advice as I get my tank ready. Still waiting on equipment to arrive so I have yet to start cycling my tank. I plan on cycling my tank with janitorial strength ammonia as I have always done with freshwater aquariums at around 3 ppm until it. Cycles that down to 0 and nitrite to 0. After that I plan on continuing the cycle until I can completely cycle 1 ppm of ammonia to nitrate in a day. 

After the cycle is complete is where I'm wondering what the recommend direction to go is. 

I want to do a pair of black diamond clownfish, a yasha goby and pistol shrimp pair. After that I'm interested in doing a blenny of some sort if that works with the goby. I like basslets but I'm not sold on them either. 

So I'm looking for advice on what to stock in my tank and the order in which to add fish. Also any recommendations for a clean up crew? 

I plan on taking it very slow when it comes to adding fish and when to start adding coral. 

Sorry if this is common question but I was just looking for advice tailored for the few fish that I know I want in the tank. Thanks so much in advance! 

Welcome to Nano-Reef.com.

On 11/20/2021 at 3:04 PM, Nebraska said:

I plan on cycling my tank with janitorial strength ammonia

If it's just ammonia and water (with no scents, surfactants, or coloring), then it shouldn't be a problem.  People usually recommend DrTim's Ammonium Chloride for its purity and dosing instructions, but pure ammonia will work too.  I believe ACE Hardware's brand ammonia is often used.

I want to do a pair of black diamond clownfish, a yasha goby and pistol shrimp pair. After that I'm interested in doing a blenny of some sort if that works with the goby. I like basslets but I'm not sold on them either. 

Blennies and Gobies don't always get along (especially liked shaped fish).  A Basslet might be a better fit.

So I'm looking for advice on what to stock in my tank and the order in which to add fish.

Stock your fish from most timid, to most aggressive.

Also any recommendations for a clean up crew? 

After you get some algae, get some herbivorous snails (look at Reef Cleaners).  Nassarius snails will cleanup leftover food and help stir the sand bed.  You can do a Scarlet Reef Hermit crab for entertainment purposes.

Thank you very much, I appreciate the wisdom! Yeah I will be using pure Ace Hardware ammonia for the cycle since that has always worked well for me in the past. 

Any suggestions on a potential final stocking based upon the few fish that I plan on getting? 

Being a stock Biocube I think I'm going start with mostly zoas when I do start adding corals in the future. Maybe a Steve's Led upgrade will happen in the future but as for now I plan on taking everything slowly. 

3 hours ago, Nebraska said:

Any suggestions on a potential final stocking based upon the few fish that I plan on getting?  Being a stock Biocube I think I'm going start with mostly zoas when I do start adding corals in the future.

In addition to zoanthids, any low light coral would work (like mushrooms).  You could get a rock flower anemone if you'd like; it won't host the clownfish, but they do well in moderate lighting.

3 hours ago, Nebraska said:

I plan on taking everything slowly.

👍