Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

where do i get huge colonies of policciporids and acro for damselfish

filefishfinatic

3 minutes ago, filefishfinatic said:

i was planning not on a rock wall but just a coral head with a coupel rocks under it. i want it to grow so branched that it lets light and sunlight (rock wall would block) and then i could keep like brain coral and soft coral and lower light stuff underneath it 

I get that, I think however that a rockwall would be beneficial as you would have a large surface area for the filtration, hides for the fish and could replicate the branching easier. It wouldn't look like a tabling acro bommie but might work better for the fish as you would have vertical as well as horizontal zones of safety and territory

Live rock wall veneer? | 3reef Aquarium Forums

Also works if you like having open swimming areas too and allows a greater amount of velocity for the flow 

filefishfinatic

what i may even do is just not use a coral head and make it out of dry rock. it would be better because naturally, a coral reef is eroded and i am not going to find some huge staghorn table coral because they are illegal to collect. the way coral grows is it starts from 1 point and eventually the base will start to erode and get covered in algae. i assume i could make a decent representation of a table coral eroded with the dry rock and mortar 

filefishfinatic

i cant find any pics but in like any coral reef documentary i watch, theres always a huge coral head with a ton of dyscallarus, lemon damsels, azure damsaels, and chromis 

just go to your mariculture coral importer and ask for their dead skeletons - they'll no doubt have a lot. Smash them off the bases, and you can roughly glue them together to make the kinda shape you're after - bear in mind most of the reef is amde from broken parts of acropora that fall, wedge themselves in place, die off at the base and grow at the tips to a new animal, so you can create this whole structure with some thermoplastic and add a few frags of teh same acro or pocci to the tips and in a couple months it'll look pretty realistic 

• Like 3
filefishfinatic

i dont have a maricuture importer but thats a very good idea with hot glue and coral skeletons. id like to ofcus honestly more on the enviroment of reef crests and bommies. i might make a new thread for this that can be more organized.