Pod Your Reef

Coral recovery when adding to tank?

emmysnewtank

Ok, so total newbie here, but that's why I am sticking to beginners discussion...

We have a newly cycled tank (Evo 13) with a pair of clowns and some CUC. Tank parameters are stable and water in seemingly good shape.

We just purchased our first set of tiny coral frags - Xenia, GSP, Zoa, Candy tree. Acclimated them, dipped them in Revive (following directions), rinsed them and plugged into tank. They aren't looking hot. My question is, how long does it usually take them to 'bounce back' from the stress of transport, dipping and new tank?

I am kind of freaking out how sad they look compared to an hour earlier at the LFS. They are coming back right?

cycled. don't have salinity meter...but all my water is direct from LFS and I just did a 10% wc

The zoa and gsp are starting to open up... Just wondering how long they normally take to bounce back from the dip? is it minutes? hours? days?

Its hard to say these things with much surety without knowing (e.g.) your tank's salinity.  There are lots of things that can be "off".

But if conditions are ideal, most corals will "bounce back" in a matter of minutes.  Handling is stressful.  Dipping is stressful.  Dipping adds a lot of extra handling, which is extra stress.  Not to list everything that can go wrong, but there is room for error.

Maybe a pic of the tank and some pics of the individual frags?

Thx for feedback. Tanks asleep now, as is my daughter. tank is in her room...we are learning this together.

going to grab hydrometer in morning form LFS and check salinity. wonder if that's what's off.

GSP, Zoa and Kenya tree were all back and looking 80%. Tiny pulsing Xenia frag is starting to move, so hoping by morning everyone is cool. I tried not to handle too much, but dip, dip, rinse and place is a lot.

• Like 1
filefishfinatic
11 hours ago, emmysnewtank said:

Ok, so total newbie here, but that's why I am sticking to beginners discussion...

We have a newly cycled tank (Evo 13) with a pair of clowns and some CUC. Tank parameters are stable and water in seemingly good shape.

We just purchased our first set of tiny coral frags - Xenia, GSP, Zoa, Candy tree. Acclimated them, dipped them in Revive (following directions), rinsed them and plugged into tank. They aren't looking hot. My question is, how long does it usually take them to 'bounce back' from the stress of transport, dipping and new tank?

I am kind of freaking out how sad they look compared to an hour earlier at the LFS. They are coming back right?

corals close when they are transported. its completely normal for them not to open for a few days. 

• Like 2