Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Oh how the Nitrites love me

AquariumDad

First timer here. We bought a 26 gallon tank that included the filter, heater and all on one day got it set up with the water treated and everything and bought 10 fish for it the next. Way too fast I know . . . well I know now anyway. I did buy live bacteria from aquarium adventure as well as the quick start stuff that came with the tank. We also live planted the tank with two Amazon sword plants on day one. Here is my problem, Amonia has not been a problem because I really loaded the filter and tank a plenty, the highest we have seen is .25 ppm so I think that part of the cycle is established pretty well and the plants help as well. Nitrites climb pretty regularly though and I know it takes longer for that bacteria to form so I am treating with prime and stability from seachem and doing daily water changes of around 10%. Should I let the nitrites rasie for a period to help establish that form of bacteria or keep this routiene. We lost one fish so far but have saved the rest with what we are doing. Thought about removing some of the substrate to dose it directly with live bacteria and then reintroducing it to the tank. Am I stunting that form of bacteria by doing water changes?

Amonia levels are good, Nitrates are good as I think the plants take care of part of those. Nitrites are the one big headache that I am afraid that I am over tending.

filefishfinatic

this is a saltwater forum but i could encourage you to read about the walstad method and try to get more diversity of plants and possibly add some kind of pond mud (top 1") and sand before it gets too cold. if you have a high biodiversity of species and low feeding, your tank will do well. also, you dont really need a heater unless your house gets below 70 degrees or you are keeping discus in fw, most fish dont mind it a bit colder and the tank can get benefits such as less chance of algae and disease. water lettuce is a very good form of nutrient export and you can get some other floating plants mixed in such as pothos, bacopa, water wisteria, hycanith, frogbit, and duckweed (fish food). what species of fish are in the tank, i could probably give advice on stocking the tank further and what you need to watch out for if i had more information. i would also work on building a floodlight fixture for your tank. you can get 2 led floodlights for about 15 bucks each and then a 2x4 for about 3$ then screws and l brackets for another 5-10$ to build a really easy fixture. you would need a atimer and an extension cord though because they have to be hard wired but they are very high output and great for planted tanks. 

If you are reading nitrites in your tests then your tank is not cycled. Nitrites are toxic in freshwater. Plants will not really help you in this matter.

You will either need to get mature filter material (sponges, ceramic media or rocks) from an established tank, or you'll have to wait until the tank completes its cycle in a few weeks (or months since your initial bioload is so high) I would stop the water changes and In the meantime and allow the nitrite consuming bacteria to build, keep using your prime and stability combo daily.  The reason you are not seeing nitrate is that your nitrites are not yet converted to nitrate.

Aquarium cycles is ammonia > nitrite > nitrate > remove nitrate with water changes. 

Can you post your nitrite and nitrate readings?

• Like 1
filefishfinatic

nitrite is more deadly than ammonia but your fish will probably be hardy enough to handle it. if its 0.2 you are probably ok if its 0.5 your fish are mad at you and if its 1 your fish are screaming "I HATE YOU" like in star wars because they are being burned alive 

You've gotten some good advice here.

Back when I used to do FW planted tanks, I would often start a tank and add fish on the same day, however, I was planting heavily (closer to two medium plants per gallon to start).  You will want to add a bunch more plants if that is the primary nutrient filter.  Also, depending on the type of fish, 10 in a 26 gallon tank is way too much (cichlids, discus) or lightly stocked (neon tetras, endlers live bearers).  Your two Amazon swords are a good start, but I'd add diversity as @filefishfinatic suggested. The swords will be ok with moderate lighting, so pick other species that are listed as moderate light plants and you should be ok. A floating plant species or two will help with the CO2 limiting problem most new FW plant keepers run into.

Also, definitely keep your heater so your tank stays between 74 and 78 degrees Fahrenheit as the swords will melt in lower temps in my experience.

And +1 to reading Diana Walsted's book on the planted tank.  Definitely the best way to do a low tech planted tank.

filefishfinatic

dont listen to father fish or fishlore. they are bad sources. in my freshwater tanks i have nearly no maintenence because of water lettuce. soem of the things father fish says are correct while other things he says are just hysterical. i got banned from his discord server for saying "dirt should not be put in saltwater, it will create too much nutrients"