Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Josh's Softy Reef(s)

joshthebox

Ordered a few old school blue Acros from a seller in British Columbia, so they should be coming sometime next week 😁 I can't resist the SPS itch! As much as I love soft corals, SPS are still my favourite 😅 I ordered a cali tort, palmers blue millepora, and tyree blue matrix.

• Like 3
39 minutes ago, joshthebox said:

Ordered a few old school blue Acros from a seller in British Columbia, so they should be coming sometime next week 😁 I can't resist the SPS itch! As much as I love soft corals, SPS are still my favourite 😅 I ordered a cali tort, palmers blue millepora, and tyree blue matrix.

Very nice, from FG? I'd always contemplated on placing an order but just couldn't justify the shipping costs.

• Like 1
15 hours ago, ptora said:

Very nice, from FG? I'd always contemplated on placing an order but just couldn't justify the shipping costs.

Yep! I've ordered from him once before, he's great. I usually get some of my buddies to order with me so we all split the shipping 😀

• Like 1
3 hours ago, joshthebox said:

Yep! I've ordered from him once before, he's great. I usually get some of my buddies to order with me so we all split the shipping 😀

Good to know, I'm always weary about ordering from half way across the country. Perhaps I'll just have to wait and do a binge order later in the year to get free shipping. 😁

• Like 1

Some photos. Moved my Turbinaria heronensis from the rock to a plate on the bottom of the tank because it started to lose colour all of a sudden (in a matter of days). No idea why, it was fine on the rock for over a month now. The nutrients are detectable (been dosing nitrates/phos), and I haven't made any lighting changes. I guess it's just a really finicky coral when it comes to lighting. 

The palau nepthea is growing like crazy, it's going to touch the nero pump so i'll have to frag it back. The clownfish are always sitting on a batch of eggs. This cool zoa I was given has a very interesting 'skirt' pattern, kind of reminds me of a tarantula lol 

IMG_3542.thumb.JPG.ac59277b56bf708bedf33e09244c7eb2.JPG

IMG_3521.JPG

IMG_3548.JPG

• Like 2

I got my small SPS order. Here's a photo of the tyree blue matrix a few hours after being in the tank. I'll take better pictures of the new additions once they open up more. They're on a frag rack temporarily just to get used to the light. I'm going to mount one frag to the rockwork, and the other two on frag tiles. The gonis will be gone soon, which will free up some space on the bottom of the tank for the frags. My clownfish are going to miss them though 😂😢

IMG_3612.JPG

IMG_3614.JPG

• Like 4
On 1/6/2022 at 7:31 PM, joshthebox said:

The gonis will be gone soon, which will free up some space on the bottom of the tank for the frags. My clownfish are going to miss them though 😂😢

Don't do it. That clown is so happy! 

• Like 1
42 minutes ago, debbeach13 said:

Don't do it. That clown is so happy! 

I sold them a few weeks ago, i'm just waiting on the buyer to pick them up 😢 The clowns also love the palau nepthea (they even sleep in it), so hopefully they don't feel too homesick when the gonis are gone☹️

• Sad 1
4 minutes ago, joshthebox said:

The clowns also love the palau nepthea (they even sleep in it), so hopefully they don't feel too homesick when the gonis are gone☹️

That is awesome. Besides it's your tank. You know what you want. I was sort of joking because the clown does look so happy. 

• Like 2
10 hours ago, debbeach13 said:

That is awesome. Besides it's your tank. You know what you want. I was sort of joking because the clown does look so happy. 

Oh I completely understand where you're coming from! They are just too rough with the gonis for me to watch, and the polyps seem to stay very short because of it. The gonis will be going to a reefer with a very big tank, so hopefully they do much better without my clowns 😂

• Like 2

My milka stylo has been quite upset for a while now. Around christmas time I was working a lot, so I wasn't able to observe the tank during the day. During that time, seemingly overnight, my milka lost a lot of colour and PE. Nutrients are detectable etc. Not sure what's going on, hopefully it recovers back to it's former glory soon... 

IMG_3668.thumb.JPG.5b6f3980fdc5f8e74ff8896f20565026.JPG

My new Tyree blue matrix RTNed on me, probably due to shipping in the very cold weather, so the seller sent me a replacement frag. 

IMG_3676.thumb.JPG.cd8e407a396ee65871588176ba018ca4.JPG

Palmer's blue mille from the same seller 

IMG_3655.thumb.jpg.8b9d053b8b13f746e6bac656bb773bd9.jpg

Oregon growing well. Still missing that deep blue colour that it originally had though. It's been darkening up a bit. 

IMG_3670.thumb.JPG.e612ee5eea8378b90bce7f637bfd6d19.JPG

• Like 3
5 hours ago, ptora said:

I hope that Milka turns around, but rather that than the WD. 

Yeah I'm hoping it cheers up. Funny that out of all the corals I have, the one that is 'bullet proof' is upset LOL. Going to try and raise my nutrients further and see if it gets better. 

• Like 1

I think this is a benthic ctenophore on my Sarcophyton elegans. It releases extremely long sweepers at night time. I don't think they sting, I'll have to grab a photo of the sweepers somehow. It's cool because the sweepers will retract immediately in response to light. IMG_3685.thumb.jpg.382b1cb354139b23c2e82bba77d5b685.jpg

• Like 2
  • 3 weeks later...

Current state of the tank. Unfortunately I lost some of my sps to RTN, which I believe had to do with my nutrient dosing. I was getting dinoflagellates from dosing nutrients oddly enough, which must've thrown the tank off. Once I stopped dosing nutrients, everything went back to normal. I removed the neros and placed the mp10s on the back wall because the tank is mostly softies, and the extra flow really isn't needed. Plus now I gain an unobstructed viewing panel. Admittedly it is difficult to dial the flow in when all of the pumps are on one wall. I would prefer to have them facing each other. 

Got some Ricordea florida for the barebottom, I'll have to grab some photos of them soon, such a nice species of corallimorph. 

IMG_3822.thumb.JPG.65c5904c7ec35a99256281fec7cd497d.JPG

• Like 2
  • Sad 2
16 minutes ago, ninjamyst said:

Sorry to hear about the RTN...SPS are the worst =P.  Excited to see the ricordea, one of my fav corals.

SPS sure are beautiful, but sometimes they stress me out! Yeah Ricordea are so nice, it just sucks because they're so expensive nowadays... I'll definitely take some photos of them in the next few days 😄

• Like 3
  • joshthebox changed the title to Josh's Softy Reef(s)