inTank Media Baskets

Josh's Softy Reef(s)

joshthebox

Always impressed with this tank.  Such a beautiful softy dominant reef.  I am a huge sucker for softies for their general ease, color, and movement they provide.  I also like that once settled they really can grow quite quickly to fill in a tank.

• Like 1
joshthebox
4 hours ago, aclman88 said:

Always impressed with this tank.  Such a beautiful softy dominant reef.  I am a huge sucker for softies for their general ease, color, and movement they provide.  I also like that once settled they really can grow quite quickly to fill in a tank.

Thank you kindly! Totally agree. Now that they are settled in, the growth rate on some of the colonies is substantial. I hate to frag stuff, so i'll probably have to keep repositioning pieces to keep them from wreaking havoc on their neighbours. Soft coral are extremely overlooked. SPS tanks are awesome, but this soft coral tank really reminds me of the joy I had when I first started this hobby. I didn't care about fancy coral names, I just liked stuff that looked great. The palau nepthea was actually my first coral. 

• Like 1
On 5/5/2022 at 12:42 PM, joshthebox said:

Haha great idea! I'll charge $300 for a 1" frag of it as well 😉🤣

Funny enough, I was at RRC the other day and asked about the white polyp leather and almost dropped on the floor when I was told the price of what someone wanted for a frag. 😅 

• Like 1
joshthebox
7 hours ago, ptora said:

Funny enough, I was at RRC the other day and asked about the white polyp leather and almost dropped on the floor when I was told the price of what someone wanted for a frag. 😅 

I was just there last week, I think I know what piece you're talking about because I asked him as well LOL. Idk who in the right mind would spend that much on a toadstool... 

joshthebox
5 hours ago, aclman88 said:

How are you liking that inout overflow?

It's not bad! It lost the wave motion, so I probably need to clean it out a bit. Because it is only a single drain, I don't have any valves controlling the flow towards the sump. Due to this, it makes a bit of noise. I was given the tank and overflow so I went with it. If I was to do it again, i'd probably opt for a more elaborate overflow. Not a bad product at all though! 

• 2 weeks later...
joshthebox

Re-scaped my tank. It hardly has a 'scape' anymore, as I removed most of the live rock. In hindsight, I had too much rock in the tank. It's more of a farming setup than a reef display at this point, which I don't mind. The leathers have gotten really big, so now they have far more space to grow in, and eventually I will be able to frag them to share with others.  I also moved the live rock to my sump, so now I have a nice cryptic zone. The fish are really enjoying the extra swimming space, which I enjoy seeing. I also moved my mp10s so they now face each other - the flow is much better this way. 

Full tank shot soon to follow. In the meantime, here's a quick iphone photo 🙂

IMG_7525.jpg

• Like 3

That leather is enormous! How long have you had it? I just recently fragged my long polyp because it was shading basically half of my 10 gallon waterbox. I have an even bigger regular toadstool but it’s placed so the shading is limited. I keep trying to convince myself not to spend money on an upgrade, but between my two toadstools and my nepthea which is catching up in size, if I don’t upgrade I won’t be able to grow anything else in the tank. 

• Like 1

A fine looking leather that shot has me concidering getting one like that for my rfa dominated tank. Clowns have sevral fluffy options but curently host my clam...😓 at least it dosnt seem bothered.

Edit: Wow that was almost unintelligible. I hate my phone putting random periods and spaces and g  in things and changing words to a random string of letters or totaly other words.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
joshthebox
11 hours ago, aclman88 said:

That leather is enormous! How long have you had it? I just recently fragged my long polyp because it was shading basically half of my 10 gallon waterbox. I have an even bigger regular toadstool but it’s placed so the shading is limited. I keep trying to convince myself not to spend money on an upgrade, but between my two toadstools and my nepthea which is catching up in size, if I don’t upgrade I won’t be able to grow anything else in the tank. 

I've had this exact one for roughly two years now (a bit less than that), but I have grown out other colonies of it in the past! Haha even after you upgrade i'm sure they'll fill up the new tank very quickly! Such fast growers! Here is what I started the colony out as. 

IMG_0014.JPG

• Wow 1
joshthebox
9 hours ago, LazyFish said:

A fine looking leather that shot has me concidering getting one like that for my rfa dominated tank. Clowns have sevral fluffy options but curently host my clam...😓 at least it dosnt seem bothered.

Edit: Wow that was almost unintelligible. I hate my phone putting random periods and spaces and g  in things and changing words to a random string of letters or totaly other words.

Awesome!! You have to get one! Those clowns need an eviction notice lol 

8 hours ago, ptora said:

I'm sure it's much more easier to siphon out detritus with the rocks no longer in the display. 🙂

Oh yeah! At this point, the reef is very low maintenance. Water changing is a breeze! 

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/10/2022 at 10:33 AM, ptora said:

Your Cespitularia is so much more bluer under T5s compared to mine under LEDs.

Interesting! The T5 definitely colours up corals very well in my opinion. 

Some pics: 

IMG_7151.JPG

IMG_7175.JPG

IMG_7201.JPG

• 5 weeks later...
58 minutes ago, ptora said:

Goni had made a comeback I see 😂

haha well I found a glitter goni for cheap so there was no way I was leaving the LFS without it 🤣 somehow my clownfish are leaving it alone, at least for now! 

• 4 weeks later...

Got a real deal weeping willow colony from Reef Raft Canada. It came from Taiwan. The polyps are so subtle, just like the Japanese green one I have (actually weeps!). Here's a photo I took of it last week. It is currently shedding 🙄 I find that toadstools always shed a week or so after putting them in a new system. Once they're adjusted, they rarely ever shed. I'll have to get a video of how crazy it moves once it finishes shedding. 

IMG_8065.JPG

IMG_8145.JPG

IMG_8147.JPG

• Like 1
5 minutes ago, mitten_reef said:

this looks so cool, almost grabbed one from LFS this past wknd.  the one there had about 2" tentacles that was flowing about

definitely get one if you have the chance! They flow like a torch but without all the problems 😉

My clowns in their Palau nepthea as the sunlight hits the tank in the morning. 

IMG_8072.JPG

IMG_8085.JPG

IMG_8097.JPG

• Like 4
  • joshthebox changed the title to Josh's Softy Reef(s)