Innovative Marine Aquariums

Josh's Softy Reef(s)

joshthebox

mitten_reef
On 3/6/2022 at 4:02 PM, joshthebox said:

IMG_4117.JPG

Other than this pic, I don't think we've been properly introduced to your trachy....at least there isn't any full pic of it on the last 2 pages

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
4 minutes ago, mitten_reef said:

Other than this pic, I don't think we've been properly introduced to your trachy....at least there isn't any full pic of it on the last 2 pages

haha you're right! I'll take a good picture of it shortly! 

Love that yellow fiji leather, such a healthy specimen.

Saw fragbox got some in but from Australia but did not want to bother asking how much they will sell them for. 

• Like 2
1 hour ago, ptora said:

Love that yellow fiji leather, such a healthy specimen.

Saw fragbox got some in but from Australia but did not want to bother asking how much they will sell them for. 

Thanks! Yeah I saw that as well. If you don't mind waiting, I plan to frag my colony when it gets a bit bigger 😄

• Like 5
18 hours ago, joshthebox said:

Thanks! Yeah I saw that as well. If you don't mind waiting, I plan to frag my colony when it gets a bit bigger 😄

For sure! Let me know as I'm looking at restarting my softie dominated nano, so definitely want a center piece. 😀  

• Like 1
On 4/16/2022 at 1:05 PM, joshthebox said:

How long have you had your colony? I’d potentially be interested in acquiring a nice specimen like that at some point.

• Like 1
11 hours ago, Firefish15 said:

How long have you had your colony? I’d potentially be interested in acquiring a nice specimen like that at some point.

A bit over a year. I am in Canada, so if you are in the states I won't be able to ship you a frag sadly. 😔

• Like 1

The baby squamosa has been scooting around, but has finally attached to the plate. It looks great, hopefully it grows and opens up even more 🤞

IMG_6914.thumb.JPG.b8feb3534da330b62ab0473d60c7bb9b.JPGIMG_6924.thumb.JPG.b070d826b8ed30adccd855b17022999d.JPG

My florida rics. Some have grown new mouths which is nice. 

IMG_6922.thumb.JPG.6568acb15a79b834c6a6f2f93ce09efd.JPG

The Trachy I got from my workplace. 

IMG_6933.thumb.JPG.96267cca9b5422599b976276e1035deb.JPG

• Like 7

The AOIs. They are in the deadspot for flow, which is annoying because detritus builds up in between the polyps. I need to do something about it.

IMG_6934.thumb.JPG.1370ac6b3c5d061a334d00a6ff253cf8.JPG

Palau nepthea is getting big 

IMG_6935.thumb.JPG.b818d85d0c16d5949d00656ded4ab356.JPG

• Like 8
5 hours ago, joshthebox said:

A bit over a year. I am in Canada, so if you are in the states I won't be able to ship you a frag sadly. 😔

Tragic. I’m in Washington state.

I can probably find one locally too. Just not sure how long they would have been in captivity.

• Like 1
27 minutes ago, Firefish15 said:

Tragic. I’m in Washington state.

I can probably find one locally too. Just not sure how long they would have been in captivity.

I think Tidal Gardens sells frags of them, they're just quite pricey though 🤔

• Like 1
7 minutes ago, Zer0 said:

How big is that little squamosa clam? Looks so cute 🥺

It is soooo small! Around 1.5". Still trying not to get too attached to it because of how small and sensitive it probably is 😬🤞When a snail climbs on it, the squamosa's byssal threads can barely keep it from tipping over because the snail weighs more than the clam! 

• Like 4
  • Wow 1

Been dosing nitrates and phosphates for about 3 weeks now. I'm using the Hanna ulr phosphate and nitrate HR checker, both are quite useful. Nitrates hover around 3-5ppm, and phos is ~0.03ppm. I may have to get another auto doser for nutrients because daily dosages are getting a bit tedious. I think the clams are enjoying the extra nutrients, and the glass is actually getting a haze on it after a couple of days, which wouldn't happen before. 

Coralline growth could be better. I'm not sure why it's not growing as fast as my previous tanks (my SPS 20g grew it like mad). Maybe a lack of sand? Or suppressed pH (I leave my window open as much as possible)? I'm tempted to use kalkwasser as it has always worked very well in the past for me. Just not sure how I'd go about dosing it. 

IMG_6958.JPG

• Like 5
joshthebox

A coworker of mine gave me a frag of this cool leather. I had a big colony of it a while back, but it melted on me for some reason. It initially came from reef raft. Reminds me of a GARF bonsai, with the purple skin and sparse green polyps. It looks especially good under blue LED. Can't wait for it to become a sizeable piece. 

IMG_7000.JPG

• Like 6

For what it’s worth, I can’t seem to grow coralline for shit either. I have little blotches here and there, but not many. It also rarely grows on the rocks for me. I’ve used a few bottles of additives and seed rocks over the past year as well, but still nothing. Maybe it’s the lights, idk

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
joshthebox
33 minutes ago, Zer0 said:

For what it’s worth, I can’t seem to grow coralline for shit either. I have little blotches here and there, but not many. It also rarely grows on the rocks for me. I’ve used a few bottles of additives and seed rocks over the past year as well, but still nothing. Maybe it’s the lights, idk

Yeah strange eh? I miss having my rocks covered pink! Not sure why it grows so well in certain tanks over others... 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
joshthebox

A couple of my clams. Baby squammy is doing great fortunately. Moved one of my crocea to the front of the tank, as it was being blocked by the Fiji leather, so I couldn't really enjoy it much. 

IMG_7006.JPG

IMG_7011.JPG

IMG_7013.JPG

• Like 5
  • Wow 1
  • joshthebox changed the title to Josh's Softy Reef(s)