SaltCritters.com

Josh's Softy Reef(s)

joshthebox

7 hours ago, Snow_Phoenix said:

I love, love the close up shot with fish opening its mouth! So beautiful. :happy:

Thank you very much! I've always wondered why fish 'yawn' sometimes 😅

4 hours ago, NanoGrant said:

What a great tank, awesome thread

Loving all the pictures too, and that royal gramma is a beauty. 

Thank you very much! 

• Like 1
35 minutes ago, ptora said:

Looks like the clowns found their new home. 😂

They primarily go in the nepthea, but yeah my female clown has been bothering my japanese long tentacle leather as of late. I bet when it grows bigger they'll try and swim in it more 😄

• Like 2
  • joshthebox changed the title to Josh's Softy Reef

Noticed some bite marks on my gold crocea, only to find out my clownfish were biting it - probably trying to get it to host them or something. IMG_4090.thumb.JPG.8572cd3b2e7dddb73e6f246567a93896.JPG

Had to move it unfortunately, hopefully it heals fast. All the clams, including the bitten one, are growing very well.

Now I have a bare area near their nest of eggs, i'm thinking I'll eventually place some type of toadstool there (waiting on a frag of yellow long tentacle toadstool), as they can usually handle a bit of abuse from the clownfish. 

IMG_4100.thumb.JPG.d134825ddc776f1dcf391f228741e428.JPGIMG_4095.thumb.jpg.d409c88a3082a044a1747719e7ee02a7.jpgIMG_4094.thumb.JPG.1bf280059bcd1d7f0e507c363056bb65.JPG

• Like 4
  • Wow 1
Christopher Marks

My LFS has a huge crocea clam in a big tank that a clownfish started to host. It would swim in and out of the big siphon holes, hiding inside! Hopefully your gold crocea heals up fine. Those pesky clownfish!

• Like 6
35 minutes ago, Christopher Marks said:

My LFS has a huge crocea clam in a big tank that a clownfish started to host. It would swim in and out of the big siphon holes, hiding inside! Hopefully your gold crocea heals up fine. Those pesky clownfish!

Wow that is really cool, I'd love to see a photo of it! 😲 

A friend of mine mentioned that using an extension tube can pretty much turn a zoom lens into a macro one, so I bought a cheap extension tube set to try it out! Very happy with the results, the photo quality is so much better. Looking forward to figuring out how to use it well!

IMG_4117.JPG

IMG_4123.JPG

IMG_4124.JPG

• Like 6
  • Wow 2
The Rainy Day Aquarium
2 hours ago, joshthebox said:

A friend of mine mentioned that using an extension tube can pretty much turn a zoom lens into a macro one, so I bought a cheap extension tube set to try it out! Very happy with the results, the photo quality is so much better. Looking forward to figuring out how to use it well!

Nice! I ordered an extension tube for my 80D along with a new set of RODI filters last week. Encouraging to see some great photos taken with one!

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Chowder's Reef said:

Nice! I ordered an extension tube for my 80D along with a new set of RODI filters last week. Encouraging to see some great photos taken with one!

The difference the tube makes is literally insane, I was shocked. Who needs an expensive macro lens when the extension does the job! Be sure to post some photos when yours arrives, I'd love to see! 

• Like 2
1 hour ago, Firefish15 said:

Really nice looking tank, love your big softies! 
Are you still dosing nutrients?

Thanks! I am no longer dosing nutrients. I was having some issues with RTN, which I attribute to the nutrient dosing because as soon as I stopped the nutrient supplementation, the RTN went away. I am hesitant to start dosing them again. 

• Like 1

Love your tank, great dimensions! 

I thought I’d recognised some of your corals from the videos on YouTube. That tank was very nice also, really natural. 

• Like 2
39 minutes ago, Cjpow said:

Love your tank, great dimensions! 

I thought I’d recognised some of your corals from the videos on YouTube. That tank was very nice also, really natural. 

Thank you! Yeah my previous tank was so much fun, I wish I kept it running! 

A few quick shots of a new coral I got. I've been looking for blue Cespitularia for well over a couple of years now, and I just so happened to find a bunch for sale at one of my local fish stores for a very cheap price (the owner didn't know what it was, probably just thought it was common xenia). Pics don't do it justice, I have no idea why this coral isn't more popular. 

On a side note, my palau nepthea is getting massive (I just fragged it a few weeks ago!). My clownfish love to sit in it. 

IMG_4181.JPG

IMG_4185.JPG

IMG_4189.JPG

• Like 6
  • Wow 1
  • joshthebox changed the title to Josh's Softy Reef(s)