Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Josh's Softy Reef(s)

joshthebox

Was going through some old photos and thought I should share this tank. Some friends and I took a road trip to RAP Chicago a couple of years ago, and while we were there, we visited the Shedd aquarium. This tank really intrigued me. The pink pocillopora was unbelievably pink in person, just reflects the power of metal halides. Kind of want a piece for my tank now 😅

EDIT: Also a huge Tridacna gigas(?)

IMG_4445.jpg

IMG_4446.jpg

• Like 4
  • Wow 4
3 hours ago, joshthebox said:

Was going through some old photos and thought I should share this tank. Some friends and I took a road trip to RAP Chicago a couple of years ago, and while we were there, we visited the Shedd aquarium. This tank really intrigued me. The pink pocillopora was unbelievably pink in person, just reflects the power of metal halides. Kind of want a piece for my tank now 😅

EDIT: Also a huge Tridacna gigas(?)

IMG_4445.jpg

IMG_4446.jpg

Holy whoa.... :whoa:

Also - that giant fuzzy thing pressed up against the glass in the first pic (the round one that is literally larger than the sailfin tang) - is that a super-huge tuxedo urchin? If yes, omg - I had no idea they could get so large! 

• Like 3
8 hours ago, Snow_Phoenix said:

Holy whoa.... :whoa:

Also - that giant fuzzy thing pressed up against the glass in the first pic (the round one that is literally larger than the sailfin tang) - is that a super-huge tuxedo urchin? If yes, omg - I had no idea they could get so large! 

I'm not sure about the species, but it is definitely an urchin! Probably an algae eating machine!! 

• Like 1
  • Wow 1
1 hour ago, DevilDuck said:

The Shedd aquarium is an amazing place for us aquarium heads. Their freshwater biotopes and marginal brackish tanks are also amazing. 

If are in town and have a car, John G. Shedd's tomb and memorial is a great off-the-beaten-path place to visit.

Secret Spot: Shedd Memorial Chapel at Rosehill Cemetery | Urban Explorer (urbnexplorer.com)

Very cool! I hope to return one day, it was definitely interesting visiting America as a Canadian to say the least. The Shedd aquarium was awesome! 

8 hours ago, shrimp4fun said:

hi, what is the 2nd toadstool (the one that is more cream color and round) you have in the back. so in love!

Hi, it was sold to me as a 'weeping willow' leather coral. Just a basic long polyp Sarcophyton 😄

• Like 1

Picked up this killer Trachy from one of my work's display tanks. My work's display tank has had some issues, so the Trachy could be a bit healthier. Once it becomes happier, it'll look even better, and definitely more fleshy. 

IMG_3379.thumb.JPG.c2d33ec23748a2d6b097fe91c2278c7d.JPG

The dinos have been disappearing on their own, they still linger, but in far less numbers so that's a good sign. I'll have to take a FTS and maybe a short video of the tank sometime soon. 

• Like 6

beautiful! I like the new placement of your Japanese Steronepthya. Is it koji wada pink nepthea? Next time can you take a passport picture of it? Don't see it fully open in your pictures. Thank you!

• Thanks 1
1 hour ago, shrimp4fun said:

beautiful! I like the new placement of your Japanese Steronepthya. Is it koji wada pink nepthea? Next time can you take a passport picture of it? Don't see it fully open in your pictures. Thank you!

It was sold to me as a 'blue' Japanese Stereonepthya from Reef Raft here in Canada, but it could very well be a renamed koji wada. I have never seen a koji wada nepthea in person, as they're pretty much impossible to find in Canada, so I have nothing to compare it to. The Stereonepthya looks purple/blue ish. I'll be sure to grab a better photo of it 😁 

2 hours ago, shrimp4fun said:

Thank you for the photo! I never seen a Stereonepthya in large size like yours. So stunning!

Thank you, I hope I can grow it to a very large size! Unfortunately it grows extremely slow! 

1 hour ago, ptora said:

I see the tank has become clam dominated, saw frag box got in some pretty nice ones and boxing day is around the corner 😅 

Haha I love clams, they're my favourite reef animal (I like them even more than SPS 😉)  Fragbox charges waaay to much for their clams in my opinion, a tiny maxima clam shouldn't be priced at around $300 😶 I usually just wait until my workplace brings them in so I can get them for a good deal. All I need is a nice 'baby blue' coloured maxima 🤤

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
1 hour ago, joshthebox said:

Haha I love clams, they're my favourite reef animal (I like them even more than SPS 😉)  Fragbox charges waaay to much for their clams in my opinion, a tiny maxima clam shouldn't be priced at around $300 😶 I usually just wait until my workplace brings them in so I can get them for a good deal. All I need is a nice 'baby blue' coloured maxima 🤤

I'm still waiting for a nice one to add to my tank, wish there was a way someone can bring in the biota ones. Haha. You're right! I remember paying $70 for 2 baby maxima clams back in the days, crazy how times have changed.

• Like 1
5 hours ago, ptora said:

I'm still waiting for a nice one to add to my tank, wish there was a way someone can bring in the biota ones. Haha. You're right! I remember paying $70 for 2 baby maxima clams back in the days, crazy how times have changed.

I think bigshowfrags brings in ORA clams, but he charges $1000 per clam LOL 

20 hours ago, joshthebox said:

I think bigshowfrags brings in ORA clams, but he charges $1000 per clam LOL 

LOL. no way am I spending that kind of dough on livestock. It's like candy basslets, one jump and there goes 1K. 

• Like 2
3 hours ago, ptora said:

LOL. no way am I spending that kind of dough on livestock. It's like candy basslets, one jump and there goes 1K. 

To be fair you can still find the occasional swales basslet for sub 150, not quite as showy, also not quite as aggressive. 

• Like 2

Merry Christmas to those that celebrate it! The dinos are practically gone as you can see. The Fiji Toadstool was super upset with the dinos, so now with them being gone, it has opened up a ton. How did I get rid of them? By doing nothing!!! Let nature take its course. 😎

IMG_3493.JPG

IMG_3501.JPG

• Like 4
  • joshthebox changed the title to Josh's Softy Reef(s)