Innovative Marine Aquariums

Josh's Softy Reef(s)

joshthebox

Also picked up a small reefer that my buddy had. Will be more of a display sort of tank given where I placed it. Kind of want some clownfish but I know they'll destroy the LPS... Had some LR cooking in the sump for some time now, so I used a lot of it for the scape. Threw in some frags from my main tank, and they are doing just fine. Plan on making backup frags of everything and throwing them in the reefer for safety purposes. 

IMG_0725.JPG

• Like 3
1 hour ago, mitten_reef said:

NEW TANK!!! woohoo

It's always a fun process!!! Missed having two tanks. I like how if something isn't doing great in one of them, they often flourish in the other. For example, my glitter goni has really polyped up in the new tank. Maybe because it has less light and less flow? 

• Like 1
6 hours ago, ptora said:

Don't you just miss the look of sand?? Awesome pick up, seems like you picked up not only 1 but 2 rainbow chalices?! 😲

Honestly I still love bare bottom. I just chose sand because it's in a living space and I want it to look appealing to family and guests. The damsel my buddy gave me is already making holes in the sand... constantly reminding me why I love bare bottom LOL. Yep 2 rainbow chalice. A RR Rainbow Dynamite and a wild rainbow. Was only $50 a frag!!!!!! 

• Like 1
On 11/23/2022 at 10:07 AM, joshthebox said:

Also picked up a small reefer that my buddy had.

That's a seriously premium setup 🤑...and looks barely used.  Nice snag!

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
On 11/23/2022 at 8:01 PM, joshthebox said:

Honestly I still love bare bottom. I just chose sand because it's in a living space and I want it to look appealing to family and guests. The damsel my buddy gave me is already making holes in the sand... constantly reminding me why I love bare bottom LOL. Yep 2 rainbow chalice. A RR Rainbow Dynamite and a wild rainbow. Was only $50 a frag!!!!!! 

Maybe it's the cube look but definitely giving me Marc Levenson's Caitlin reef tank. Bold enough to put a pygmy angel? 😋

That's funny, I picked up a Rainbow Dynamite from CC for the same price as well! 

• Like 1
On 11/25/2022 at 11:16 AM, mcarroll said:

That's a seriously premium setup 🤑...and looks barely used.  Nice snag!

Thanks! Let's just say I know the right people lol. It was pretty dirty but nothing that some vinegar and a razor blade can't fix! 

On 11/25/2022 at 7:02 PM, The Rainy Day Aquarium said:

Sweet setup! I expect this to become the 2.0 version of your old Innovative Marine 20 gallon 😉

Haha no SPS!!! At least not in an all in one tank 😉 Miss that tank so much!!! 

On 11/26/2022 at 9:50 AM, ptora said:

Maybe it's the cube look but definitely giving me Marc Levenson's Caitlin reef tank. Bold enough to put a pygmy angel? 😋

That's funny, I picked up a Rainbow Dynamite from CC for the same price as well! 

Haha I wish!! 

Right on, I got the chalice frags from CC at the coral show, was a great deal. Be sure to share a photo of your frag!

• Like 1

Got a pair (?) of cardinals from the display tank at my workplace. Didn't want clownfish in my new reefer, so I thought these guys would be a great peaceful addition. They need some bulking up to do, but they've been growing out in the work display for over a year now so they're quite healthy. Overlooked fish in my opinion! 

CE36B2D9-38BC-4304-A414-1AA1A23EE8B5.JPG

F358737B-18B2-4930-ACEB-F09165A01263.JPG

• Like 5

New toadstool from Australia that I placed in the new tank.

IMG_1556.thumb.JPG.6b5cc3b2d4092d81539c3bd3f0e8ba81.JPG

LED is cool and all, but I have a feeling that some of the corals would do better under T5, like this new leather. Let's hope the yellow develops... I have some hydras laying around but I don't think I can mount them on the reefer using the current mount. Maybe I'll figure out a way to rig a hydra 52 on it 🤣

IMG_1560.JPG

IMG_1565.JPG

• Like 3
  • Wow 1
  • 4 weeks later...

Removed the T5. Curious to see if any changes in coral health occurs. So far, so good. Also moved my willow over to my reefer, it was being quite grumpy. All is well. Also, here's a shot of my banggai in the reefer, funny little fish. 

IMG_0031.jpg

IMG_0018.JPG

• Like 4
  • Wow 1
1 hour ago, joshthebox said:

Removed the T5. Curious to see if any changes in coral health occurs. So far, so good.

Any idea of the BEFORE/AFTER difference in PAR or lux values on the tank?

18 minutes ago, mcarroll said:

Any idea of the BEFORE/AFTER difference in PAR or lux values on the tank?

No idea. I barely has the radions running (like 4% intensity) when I had the t5 on, so I just tried to match the illumination that the T5 provided. 

• Like 1

Our eyeballs aren't very good judges of relative intensity like this unfortunately.   Thankfully, healthy corals under favorable conditions can be very adaptable.  👍🤞

Any chance the T5 is still around so you could fire it up and get some measurements?  All you need is "at the water surface" measurements from the old and new lights....so about 12-18" or whatever it is between your lights and the water surface.   You don't need to sample underwater at all.  (So a lux meter app on your cell phone can take measurements if you have nothing better. ) 👍

11 hours ago, mcarroll said:

Our eyeballs aren't very good judges of relative intensity like this unfortunately.   Thankfully, healthy corals under favorable conditions can be very adaptable.  👍🤞

Any chance the T5 is still around so you could fire it up and get some measurements?  All you need is "at the water surface" measurements from the old and new lights....so about 12-18" or whatever it is between your lights and the water surface.   You don't need to sample underwater at all.  (So a lux meter app on your cell phone can take measurements if you have nothing better. ) 👍

Oh for sure. We can't eyeball intensity or spectrum. I think i'll just leave the lights as they are now, the corals have been doing fine with the switch for a few weeks now. Never bothered to get such a device. The coral health and appearance tells me everything I need to know in my opinion. 

• Like 4
On 1/3/2023 at 11:45 PM, joshthebox said:

Removed the T5. Curious to see if any changes in coral health occurs. So far, so good.

I was with you here.  Empirical data can be helpful and interesting when a change is made in lighting.

On 1/4/2023 at 1:02 PM, joshthebox said:

the corals have been doing fine with the switch for a few weeks now.

Anything is possible, but If the change was made weeks ago you are unlikely to see any changes now.

On 1/4/2023 at 1:02 PM, joshthebox said:

Never bothered to get such a device.

If you get curious....even if it's just for curiosity's sake... A lux meter app costs nothing.  A real handheld lux meter only costs about $7 and up.

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...
  • joshthebox changed the title to Josh's Softy Reef(s)