ReefCleaners.org

GSP

Dave21

So I have a plug with GSP and it has grown. But the polyps are small and not very colorful compared to photos I've seen of GSP. 

Will it possibly look better as it grows or do I have it placed too high in the tank? 

Here is a couple pictures for reference. 

20211114_183228.jpg

20211114_183802.jpg

RaymondNoodles

I have 2 varieties of GSP in the same tank - one looks like yours and the other is a brighter green. As mentioned, there are many types of GSP. As long as it’s growing and opening up, the light and flow are probably sufficient. 

• Like 2

Cool so it sounds like it might not be an issue. The only note on opening up is it does close up or partially close up at random times during the day. All 3 of my other corals only close up when the lights go out at night.

I've never seen the type of GSP you have.

In general, I find GSP to be super temperamental when first introduced to a tank. I've had them stay closed for weeks for no reason.

Leave it be and let it get used to the tank. If it's growing and the mat is extending, it is a good sign.

• Like 1

I have a GSP that's pretty basic and not super colorful.  It stayed dormant for a couple months til I started dosing Phyto, it now comes out daily.  

My beginner experience is if you get your tank stable and has nutrients, it'll open up.  Even if it's not opening for long periods, it's not dead.  It'll open when you get your nutrients up.