inTank Media Baskets

Hydros

michael_cb_125

9 hours ago, michael_cb_125 said:

Hello everyone.

I am very unsavy when it comes to electronics.

Can anyone tell me if this hydros will control a titanium heater?

https://www.aquariumspecialty.com/hydros-control-2.html

Thanks in advance.

Consider running a low-tech reef then!!

To answer your question tho...

It looks like that unit comes with a temperature probe as well as a power outlet strip.  Is this what you're looking at:  https://www.coralvue.com/hydros-control-x2-starter-pack

In that case the controller will be able to use the temperature input from the temperature probe to control one or more of those outlets.

So as long as your heater (or chiller, etc) will plug into one of those outlets, then the answer is "Yes!".  👍

• Like 1
michael_cb_125

Thanks for the response everyone. 

My tank is not a crazy high tech system and I do not want it that way. But I do want reliability. I ordered an inkbird and BRS titanium heater. I may add the hydros as a backup. 

I literally will only use this for temp control, unless it will controll my ethereal, and Nero.....

~Michael

On 11/15/2021 at 8:12 AM, michael_cb_125 said:

unless it will controll my ethereal, and Nero.....

You'll have to confirm if you can hook up those specific models, but I think that's the intention of the Hydros product.

There's nothing wrong with using a heater controller, but it's good to hold it in mind that a controller is not a panacea for using a second-rate heater....which seems like the primary motivation for lots of folks that use them.  

Adding a secondary controller to a heater that already has a thermostat does give you another way to shut off the heater, but that doesn't actually do much to protect your tank.  

In addition you now have a secondary piece of equipment before your heater, so you have added another range of potential failures and glitches that can impact your livestock.  (google "ink bird problem" if you haven't)

If you need or just want a controller for other features (ie email notifications, powerhead control, etc), then use one – a controller can make a lot of sense for some people.  But use the controller with the highest quality heater you can find.  IMO stick with Marineland or Eheim.  (I've seen more dead and voltage-leaking titanium heaters than any other type.)

A better safety strategy for your heaters is to use the correctly-sized heater for your tank, and not larger.  Even if it sticks on (which is very rare IME) it's going to take a lot of time for any damage to be done – and you are observing the tank carefully at least once a day so you'll catch it.  Not a lot of room for a real problem.  (Different story if you're setting up a tank that you won't be around much....which should not be done lightly...lots of room for things to go off the rails unless you have a good, proven system.)

31 minutes ago, michael_cb_125 said:

I am having the issue with my current ehiem struggling on very cold days..and it is getting colder. I cannot fit a larger eheim in my all in one...

A controller is good to have but a controller won't fix this issue. A heating element can only heat up so much water depending on it's size and power. Sounds like you need a different brand of heater. Something smaller but rated for a larger volume of water/bigger watts to keep up in winter. 

18 hours ago, michael_cb_125 said:

I am having the issue with my current ehiem struggling on very cold days..and it is getting colder. I cannot fit a larger eheim in my all in one...

How cold is the tank getting?

Sounds like you should up the daytime temp to avoid the lows being too low....this is more important in the short term than stability.  And I'm not sure +/- 2ºF is all that significant.  (Wild reefs do not have completely stable water temperatures.)

I do recommend setting your daytime temperature up to 82ºF....drifting down slowly to 80ºF at night isn't going to be a problem IMO.  

I'm not sure I'd bother to change that heater unless you expect it to get even colder in the house.  In that case I think I'd consider adding a second, smaller heater rather than one bigger one.  Remove the smaller heater once the weather warms up.

Have you tried covering the tank or even (if possible) keeping the door to the aquarium's room closed?  Both would help to retain moisture and heat and also prevent evaporation (which causes cooling).