inTank Media Baskets

RIP Chris Jung (Nanocustoms)

evilc66

It's been a long time since I've been on here, but I found out today that someone that many of you old timers may have known has passed away.

Chris Jung was the owner and operator of Nanocustoms, and helped many with lighting upgrades over the years. After leaving the reef community years ago, he dove head first into developing inexpensive and accessible ventilator tech once the COVID pandemic hit last year. The company that he started, fluidIQ, was well on their way to making a huge difference across the globe.

I don't have any specifics as to what happened, but he apparently passed suddenly on Tuesday. He is survived by his wife and three beautiful children.

Please keep his family in your thoughts during this difficult time.

• Sad 16

I remember dealing with Chris and nanocustoms.  They were a great resource when LEDs were new on the scene, and they really helped make them accessible.  I got a lot of help from their customer service, and from their forum postings. 

Thank you evil, for letting us know.  I'm very sad to hear this, but also happy to hear how he used his work to help people during the pandemic.  Sending much love to his family. 

• Like 3

I actually logged on just now to message you and let you know. I just learned of his passing last night. 

I haven’t been on here in a long time. 

Chris was a good friend of mine and even hired me towards the end of Nano Customs. After that I helped around the shop and ran his HAAS mill at night. He gave me a graveyard shift because he knew I was out of work and he really helped me out in a time of need. I still have my LED Sunpod Attachment, and the JBJ RL30 that he gave me…which was just sitting in the corner of his office. 

I hadn’t talked to Chris in a while. I sent him a text the day of his passing, asking where one of our mutual friends had been. I never got a reply back, but I just assumed he was busy with work. The mutual friend I was looking for reached out to me with the terrible news. 

Chris really helped boost the nano aquarium industry. He deserves to be recognized. 

RIP Chris. 

• Like 7
Christopher Marks

I can’t believe it 😞

Chris and I really got to know each other here on the community, as he was turning his passion for this hobby into a business, Nano Tuners, and then Nano Customs. We shared an entrepreneurial spirit, and always loved talking business. He was so ambitious, and really helped push this hobby forward with his engineering and product design. We bonded over technical nerdy stuff, he was a web programmer like me, and always encouraged my work on improving Nano-Reef.com, often helping me with PHP and MySQL questions in the early years of this website.

Chris really believed in me, and even hired me to work on some of his own freelance projects. I was only 19, living on my own in Phoenix and trying to figure out what I might do with my life. He saw my potential, and gave me my first remote programming gig, along with a big confidence boost that I could make it on my own. I always tried to reciprocate and encourage Nano Customs forward, helping with marketing ideas. He was a proud community sponsor for nearly 10 years, and contributed so much knowledge to these forums. 

As the years went by I got to see him start a family, and witness all the joy that brought to his life. I feel terrible for their loss. I hope they know the impact Chris made, and that he will be remembered here with us. 

• Like 8

I’m going to bump this again just because I keep thinking about two things. how I met Chris. I remember finding out that Nano Customs/Nano Tuners was in the same town as me. I remember emailing Chris asking if he was hiring or if he would be open to an apprenticeship. I told him I would clean the shop for free (which years later I did do!) I was only 20 back then. Now I’m 33

another huge thing Chris did for me was let me borrow his extra car so I could get to work. Years after I became friends with him he employed me like I mentioned in the other post. While I was working for him I also got started in the film industry which is my current career. When I started I had to drive to LA from Ventura County everyday. My truck wasn’t in working condition and if it weren’t for Chris there is a good chance I wouldn’t have been able to do what I needed to get my life going. 

miss you buddy.  

• Like 2