Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Waterbox 15 pump noise

OilBeak

Hey everyone,

So, I recently bought a Waterbox Peninsula 15 AIO. Love it. The only issue I have is the pump that came with the thing is damn noisy. Eventually I plan on purchasing a Sicce pump (unless there's another pump you all would recommend) but for the meantime, is there any tricks on quieting the pump that came with the aquarium? I actually had a new one sent to me because I thought it was too noisy to be how it is. (I still do but...) 

Anyhow, thanks all for any tips you might be able to give me. I've kept these saltwater aquariums for 15 years now but it's been a while since I've really been invested. Excited to get going again!

Hi,

I've seen a few post(s) claiming this as well (from the WP).
I think an upgrade can't hurt, Sicce 1.0 seems like a good pick if that's what you were looking for.

Also you could try to add some sort of silicon mat underneath to prevent any noise.

Edit: Is the pipes connection to the pump hard-line pvc or rubber tubing? (rubber/silicon helps a lot)

I'm not sure about the specs of the Sump chambers on the WP but I got a DC Runner 1.3 from Aquamedic and it's dead silent.

Hope that helps.

Squid

• Like 1
1 hour ago, aclman88 said:

Is the pump itself noisy, or is it vibrating against the tank/chambers?

Edit:  To add on, I replaced the waterbox pump with a sicce and never looked back.

Ditto on "is it vibrating against the tank/chambers".  Mine was noisy in a cube 10 but mainly when vibrating against the glass and/or other equipment.  Also upgraded to a Sicce, more for increased flow and less for noise.

2 hours ago, skippylou said:

Ditto on "is it vibrating against the tank/chambers".  Mine was noisy in a cube 10 but mainly when vibrating against the glass and/or other equipment.  Also upgraded to a Sicce, more for increased flow and less for noise.

I imagine it is mostly the vibration but I've fiddled with it a lot and can't seem to reduce that issue. Perhaps finding a way to line the chamber in silicone?

I would remove the pump and completely disassemble it.  Clean and examine every part to make sure there're no burs and that nothing was assembled crooked, etc.

Put it back together and try again.  An upgrade like a QuietOne or Sicce would be the most silent, but even a cheap pump should be able to run fairly quiet....it's an inherent quality of this type of pump (reluctance motor).  From the noise level you describe, it seems like something is broken or maybe assembled incorrectly (not necessarily by you).  If so, the company would probably replace it for free.

• Like 2
  • 2 months later...

I tried taking it out, pulling it apart and it actually got worse for me. I ended up sucking it up and buying a Sicce and like others have said it was the right call even if it hurt. I sure wish we could have the option for the upgrade at the time of purchase.

I had exactly the same issue and i ended up upgrading to Tunze Pump Silence1073.008. i have read that sicce silent can have some vibration noises too and i had bad exerience with other sicce pump before so I opted for the tunze. I have some of their circulation pumps for 9+ years and they still work.

Tunze is a bit more expensive than Sicce, but i could not recommend it enough, i virtually cannot hear it unless i put my ear to the glass of the tank,

and it fits perfectly into the WB peninsula 15g

• Like 2

Same issue with my daughter's tank, Evo stock pump, upgraded to Sicce  silent 1.0.. just as bad..

I cannot stop the noise.. took both pumps out and hold them below the water running full blast and they as literally silent.

It's absolutely vibration noises but I cannot get it stop.. so frustrating..

• Wow 1