Coral Vue Hydros

IM AuqaShield UV sterilizer question

Aquacrazed

I'm looking into getting one of these for my IM Nuvo 20g. They sit right behind one of the intakes on the IM tanks (so uses up the media space). Do they need to be turned on all the time. If they are turned off will water still flow through to the rear sump? They also have the universal version that you can mount anywhere but that maybe too tall for my tank's sump.

If you're getting it "just in case" then either one should work, but I'd opt for the larger one (if one is larger).

I would only use it on an as-needed basis though.  (It will be run 24/7 when you need it.)

UV bulbs usually last 6 months or a year (check your unit's documentation) so keep that in mind.

UV is most commonly used to fight pest and pathogenic dinoflagellates in the Saltwater realm.  

"Velvet" is a fairly common fish-parasite dinoflagellate.  And there are a handful of dino. species that cause "harmful algae blooms" in new tanks WAY TOO OFTEN.  But UV is also handy against other fish ectoparasites (eg "Crypto"/Ich) and is sometimes used against green algae (tho rarely in the reef world).

So adding the UV filter when you add fish to the tank at least until the fish are completely settled would be a smart move...even if they seem healthy.  (New tanks are inherently unstable and stressful for fish, which can lead to disease outbreaks...especially if you add too many fish too soon.  A micron filter like the Vortex XL and Marineland's Polishing Filter makes a powerful compliment to a UV filter for this task.)

You would not just keep one running in-tank year round for no reason though.  👍

So I ended up getting the universal version (which was 2x the price of the other one). Fits perfect on either of the inner chambers. The other one doesn't have a flow control where as with the universal you can control it between 10 - 57gph (turn it down for pest and pathogen issues, turn it up for algae and bacterial blooms). From what I've been reading the other one has fairly high flow and only effective against algae and bacterial blooms. Also I can keep using the media basket now. It seems solidly built. I just wish it came with some light in the control box that shows that it's on and also a light when it's time to replace the bulb. Some of the cheap stuff on Amazon (green killing machine) has these features.

• Like 1