inTank Media Baskets

Who's Mixing Shrimp?

Dave21

So I'm thinking about adding some shrimp at some point and was wondering who's had success with mixing species. I personally like the look of CBS, but decided a CBS is out based off too many people reporting issues with them when their big and the inability to add other shrimp with them.

My wife likes cleaner shrimp and my 3 year old desperately wants a fire shrimp and reminds me everytime we feed the tank lol. 

I have read these are compatible in other forms, but wanted to see if anyone had success mixing them here?

On a separate note I like the idea of adding a pistol shrimp too, but am afraid that will be too much in my tank since it's only 29 gallon. Though I believe there are smaller species with peaceful temperament so maybe its possible 

Shrimp are pretty low for bioload, generally, so size concern is less of an issue unless they have specific territory.  Skunk cleaners and fire cleaners should get along fine, and a pistol will live in tunnels under the rockwork and will basically occupy an entirely different area, so they should be fine as well.

The CBS get the biggest of them, and may be the most territorial, but I doubt there would be big problems with them and other larger shrimp - maybe CBS and very small fish could be a problem.  While their claws are pretty quick, they are generally fairly clumsy to move around, so while they will try to keep things away from themselves, they don't have much ability to pursue things around the tank and really cause them problems.

A tiger pistol or candycane pistol will leave everything else alone, unless something else shoves into its burrow, and is great fun to watch. 

CBS aren't safe around small fish. Blue coral banded shrimp are much smaller, so should be okay? But it's potentially still iffy. 

Post a pic of your tank. If you have a ton of hiding spots and hanging caves, a blood shrimp and a skunk cleaner might work okay in the same tank. Both of them like to have archways to hang under. 

I thought a coral banded wouldn't be compatible (unless getting either a blue or yellow) because I read that they would likely eat cleaner shrimp?

I don't have a ton of hiding spots but have 3 archway areas they could hide under so I think a cleaner and fire shrimp would be able to sort out territories and hiding spots. 

And I'm glad to hear a pistol shrimp shouldn't interfere. I don't want to put in too much and cause issues since it's not a huge tank, but I find the inverts way more interesting than most of the small sized fish. 

Heres a pic. 

Screenshot_20211104-184159_Gallery.jpg

On 11/4/2021 at 3:53 PM, Dave21 said:

So I'm thinking about adding some shrimp at some point and was wondering who's had success with mixing species. I personally like the look of CBS, but decided a CBS is out based off too many people reporting issues with them when their big and the inability to add other shrimp with them.

My wife likes cleaner shrimp and my 3 year old desperately wants a fire shrimp and reminds me everytime we feed the tank lol. 

I have read these are compatible in other forms, but wanted to see if anyone had success mixing them here?

On a separate note I like the idea of adding a pistol shrimp too, but am afraid that will be too much in my tank since it's only 29 gallon. Though I believe there are smaller species with peaceful temperament so maybe its possible 

For a nano tank, pick one at most....doesn't matter as much which one that way.

More than one is always risky since they don't always tolerate one another (not even in my 125 Gallon)....or they do for a while and then change their murderous little minds.  😈

Coral bandeds are opportunists with large claws, so they can't be trusted with any tiny creatures. Fish, cleaner shrimp, nothin'.

Cleaner shrimp of any species (skunk, fire, whatever) run a risk of fighting each other. Fire shrimp should exhibit some cleaning behavior, so if your wife wants to watch cleaning, and your kid wants a fire shrimp, sounds like you should get a fire shrimp. 

• Like 1