inTank Media Baskets

Candy cane frag too small?

campbell_wat

got this very small candy cane frag from a friend about 3 weeks ago.
It has shown some growth but almost always has feeding tentacles out. Anyone know as to why this is? Also with a frag this small, what are my chances for successful growth and splitting? It has a very small base, less than 1cm to the super glue...
Ca 550
mg 1400
alk 10
ph 8.25
Nitrates etc 0ish, very stable
phosphate 0.1

Screen Shot 2021-10-25 at 3.50.30 PM.png

If a coral frag is large enough to survive, it'll eventually grow into a full colony, no matter how small it starts out. That's a pretty small frag, so its chances of survival are lower, but it'll probably be fine. It's a full polyp, and that's about all you need with LPS. 

Probably it's hungry. Feed it! Also, get your nitrates up, 0 nitrates is generally not good for most corals. 

If it has polyp extension like that its very healthy. It will grow and split on its own. 

Drop some frozen brine shrimp on it. Like all LPS it will grow faster if fed.

• Like 1

Looks good, it’s puffed up and trying to feed, I think it will do well for you. The stalk will get longer and it will grow more heads. Just make sure it’s getting good light. I don’t feed mine because they all grow really fast in my tanks, but you can feed them.