Innovative Marine Aquariums

Midas Blenny added not coming out

Arun

I do have 30 gallon tank with couple of clown and Pygmy angel. Recently I added Midas blenny to the tank couple of days back. From the day i I added I couldn’t see it. What should I need to do

They will graze, and they're a fish willing to eat stuff off of rocks/substrate, so any food that settles out at feeding time is still fair game to it and may be gotten when it drifts over to where they're hiding or when you're not looking and they think it's safer.

Provided it didn't look thin when you got it, a few days of minimal or no eating is no big problem, but if you're getting past a week and you still see nothing, it's probably worth a look around.  You could try looking for it shortly before lights out or at night, some more timid fish will explore around more in the dim lighting or early evening even though they don't come out during the day, and while I don't think this one will be timid, it may have similar behavior early on.

• Like 1

I had a midas that only left his home for a few darts and then back into his rock. But he was visible all the time.

He never openly swam and this sometimes happens with them.

They are not a grazing algae eating blenny, so if you know the area its hiding in, try to get food in that area.

Give it time to get comfortable in the tank, once it is, it will be fine. They can hold their own, its not a passive fish.

• Like 1
On 10/25/2021 at 9:02 PM, DevilDuck said:

Have you seen any other fish picking at the Midas? I have one and it is the most out going fish in the tank. It will take food from my hand. 

I haven’t seen him out since the day I added it’s been 4th day if am not wrong

On 10/25/2021 at 3:50 PM, Arun said:

I do have 30 gallon tank with couple of clown and Pygmy angel. Recently I added Midas blenny to the tank couple of days back. From the day i I added I couldn’t see it. What should I need to do

Those are potentially aggressive tank mates for the Midas, and in a pretty small tank.  

The Pygmy has a minimum recommended tank size of 55 Gallons.

30 gallons (your tank size) is the minimum recommended size for the Midas.

And consider that the clowns will stake out a good 5-10 gallons of that 30...somewhat less if they choose to pair and home onto something like a rock or anemone.  

But the Pygmy, who will always feel a little stressed from the tiny tank, will be actively patrolling the whole reef – especially the remaining 20-25 gallons outside the clowns' territory where the Midas will be forced to stay.  

You're pretty brave going for this combo IMO.  A bigger tank or different selection of fish would have been a safer bet – be ready for anything.

How old is this tank?  How long have the other fish been in?  Have you had a tank before?