Top Shelf Aquatics

Nano Reef Take 3.... Waterbox Peninsula 15

trevor1189

Hello all!

I've decided to get back into reefing after a few years hiatus. This will be my third tank. I started with a cheap 10 gallon tank the first time, then a 9.6 gallon Aquamaxx, now I've got a Waterbox Peninsula 15 on order. The longest I've ever had a tank was about 1 year the first time and 2 years the second time, but I'm hoping this time it'll be around for a while since I'm not planning on moving anytime soon again.

To go with it, so far I've got...

-Waterbox Peninsula 15 gallon AIO

-Cheap Amazon refractometer

-Cheap Amazon thermometer

-Upgraded pump Sicce Silent 0.5

-Nero 3 Powerhead

-Coral Pro Salt Mix

-20 #s Arag-Alive Special Grade Sand

-17 #s Reef Saver Marco Dry Rocks

-75 Watt EHeim Jager heater

-5 Gallon bucket and cheap siphon pump

-Purigen

Things I'm still shopping for:

Light: Kessil 160 vs AI Prime 16HD?

Skimmer: ??? I have never had a skimmer but I would like to try one on this tank. However, it needs to be something that fits in the rear compartment, so that limits the options

Lid: ??? I haven't really looked at these. I did see someone who had a Kraken Reef one, but $100 for a lid seems steep.

Stand: ??? I don't really like the look of "aquarium stands". I was hoping to find a small black wire shelf that would match my office furniture, but they all seem to be 13.4" inches deep and the tank is 13.8" so I'm back to square one on this. Don't want to spend a ton on stand, but it has to look sort of decent.

Testing supplies.

If anyone has any suggestions, must have gear or tips, I'm all ears! Like I said, this is my third nano reef, but its been a few years so I'm just starting to remember how much goes into the setup.

You can make a lid. Window screen framing from lowes or home depot and mesh from BRS. If I can do it you can. Also IMO an auto top off to keep SG stable is one of the best pieces of equipment you an have. Good luck with the new set up.

• Like 1

I’ve had quite a few nano’s.  I’ve yet to find a skimmer that made a significant impact on nutrients.

I’ve found that a decent water change which is so easy on a small tank, quality carbon run 1-2 weeks each month to clear water, STICK WITH A LED SCHEDULE don’t change it once setting you like, minimal/ no “additives”

keep alkalinity, temperature, and salinity stable- top off, dosing pump if needed.

This simple method has provided the cheapest and best results for me once tank stability sets in and you get consistent and know what the tank needs. How big of water change for example. Dial in alkalinity as another.

Equipment and additives make sense for bigger tanks where water changes become costly and more involved. Also additives are easier as your equipment in bigger tanks can absorb excess unconsumed nutrients for things like aminos or other coral foods

stability is key

8 hours ago, EGZHETJE said:

I HAVE THE SAME PROBLEMMMM !!!!!!!

With the shelving?

if so, I’m considering this option: 

https://www.webstaurantstore.com/regency-18-x-24-nsf-black-epoxy-wire-shelf/460EB1824.html

I want to put my tank in my home office which has black metal and natural wood furniture, so I’m looking for something that would match without breaking the bank. This unit looks to be just about the right size and I know for certain it would support the weight no problem. Still searching, but it’s the best I’ve found so far. 

I received my tank in the mail today! Along with it came my heater, test kits, water conditioner, powerhead, return pump & thermometer. I'm just waiting on sand, salt mix and my RODI system, which are supposed to arrive on Saturday.

My reefsaver rock arrived, they sent me exactly 17 pounds in the form of 5 decent size rocks. I tried assembling them into a clump and was immediately disappointed. So I busted out the car keys and ran to the hardware store and cleaned out their superglue aisle. I bought a variety of glues, but my favorite for sure is the Locktite Super Glue Professional Liquid 0.70 oz (20g) bottle. The gel glues took too long to setup and I was able to mix this glue with the dust & rubble from broken down Reefsaver rocks. I applied glue, a small layer of dust and repeated 3-4x around the circumference of the joint for some rock solid bonds. I'm very pleased with this glue, the joints seem strong and are invisible. The rest of the gel I bought I'm saving for mounting frags.

Anyhow, I got a pretty decent aquascape going (in my opinion). My first two reef tanks were just a "wall" of rocks stacked through the tank. I tried using the BRS negative aquascape technique and I think I did a pretty decent job. I tried to make sure looking from the top down, that I had lots of unobstructed direct light points to mount corals. Looking from the sides, there are lots of spaces for corals to grow and inhabitants to swim.

I'd love to hear your feedback, especially things to improve. I'm letting the glue setup overnight before anymore tinkering as I spent about 6 hours+ working on this today and need a break. I'm sure I'll do some more modifications before I'm completely done, but I'm damn proud of myself for this one. I used about 13 pounds of rock total including the couple loose islands and rubble on the floor for those rapid-growing, instant-satisfaction corals.

Ok, enough blabbering:

Pictures attached and here's quick walk around view:

Left Aquascape Take 1.jpg

Right Aquascape Take 1.jpg

Front Aquascape Take 1.jpg