Top Shelf Aquatics

AI Prime 16hd Moonlight?

reefer_evo5

Hey guys I recently got a AI Prime 16HD for a small innovative marine 10gallon. I saw on the app that there is a Moonlight function and noticed when i have it on it stays on for about 6 hours after my normal lights go out. I currently have it set to 1 percent and my fish don't seem bothered by it at night at all. They still seem to sleep. But i was wondering what this moonlight function is actually for. If someone could let me know id appreciate the input thanks. 

58 minutes ago, Kindanewtothis said:

It follows the moon phase, intensity vary with it. I don't use it.

https://support.aquaillumination.com/hc/en-us/articles/223487248-How-does-the-lunar-cycle-work-

i did see that on the AI website but I wasn't sure if it was just for looks on the tank or if there's a actual benefit to run the moon light i took it off for tonight since i don't find a actual use for having it on 

2 hours ago, Murphych said:

I tried it. Not happy that it interferes with and dims the lighting schedule as it gets late.. plus I can't see the benefits to the reef.. maybe I'm wrong, but seems pointless.

It's ugly and I don't bother with it, but if you were aiming for coral spawning, it might work out since it mimics the real moon. But...it may not be close enough for that and is just a gimmick. Though, if it were just a gimmick, I don't know why they wouldn't do it with UV/V/RB instead as a one click shortcut for what everyone does on ramp down!

• Like 1

Moonlighting offers replication of real life just like the daylights replicate the sun but it shouldn't be run all night as its more natural for there to be complete darkness at some point.

I always ran moonlighting but only for 3hrs after lights out.

It also provides you with extra viewing time of the tank which can be really cool at night.

• Like 1
11 hours ago, Clown79 said:

Moonlighting offers replication of real life just like the daylights replicate the sun but it shouldn't be run all night as its more natural for there to be complete darkness at some point.

but wouldn't the moon stay up all night in real life tho?  and the chance for full darkness comes with the dimming to mimic that of the daily moon phase?  I don't own the light, the notion that artificial moon is meant to be lit for x hours per night just makes no sense to me.  The moon just doesn't randomly disappear from the sky at 1am...just a thought.

edit:  But yes, if the moonlight is meant to extend the time where we could enjoy the tank, albeit with a different lighting mood, then setting it for certain number of extra hours make sense.  to cap the note, I think the moonlight functionality is mostly gimmick...

2 hours ago, mitten_reef said:

but wouldn't the moon stay up all night in real life tho?  and the chance for full darkness comes with the dimming to mimic that of the daily moon phase?  I don't own the light, the notion that artificial moon is meant to be lit for x hours per night just makes no sense to me.  The moon just doesn't randomly disappear from the sky at 1am...just a thought.

edit:  But yes, if the moonlight is meant to extend the time where we could enjoy the tank, albeit with a different lighting mood, then setting it for certain number of extra hours make sense.  to cap the note, I think the moonlight functionality is mostly gimmick...

No. As the moon goes through its phases it moves across the sky.

There are nights in areas where the moon phase is only visible for short periods of time or none at all. 

So no, not every night will the moonlighting come on and the brightness of the light will depend on if the moon is full, crescent, or quarter moon.

The Ai Prime moonlighting follows the phase in your area.

• Like 1

Thanks for all the replies I found on AI website that it has to be set to a minimum of 5% in order for it to make any changes and at that brightness I feel like its to bright for m tank I wont be using it and I dont know much about corral spawning so I think illl hold off on usisng it for now lol