ReefCleaners.org

Hello from Indiana !

Solga

I just wanted to say Hi, and throw a quick introduction out here.

My name is Adam, I am 46 y/o and from a small town about half way between Ft. Wayne & Indy.  I plan on starting a new salt water set up within the next few weeks.  Although I am somewhat new to the "nano" side of saltwater, I am not new to keeping fish.  I have had aquariums for as long as I have memories.  From 10g fresh water to 225 fresh water, and had a couple FOWLR salt water tanks.  My last tank was a feeble attempt at a 20g that was going to be mixed with fish / coral, but I really didn't have the time for it, and I tore it down.  

This time around I am going to plan out everything possible, and have a better start from the beginning.  Eventually, when the kids move out, I will be getting back into a larger (75g +) tank.

My intentions are to get a 12g (or similar size) AIO, from a site supporter, and make it a somewhat mixed reef. 

Stocking plans are not super specific, but more along general guidelines.

I want it to make this into mainly a Zoa / Paly / clove polyp garden with maybe a couple rock anemones.  I do not have any favorite "styles" or names of any of these except for the fireworks clove polyps, I really like those.  What I would like to eventually end up with, is a well balanced mixture of colors and styles on a few different rocks.   I may end up getting a couple 12g AIO's though, one for leathers, and one for the zoa/paly's.  

After I get the tank, I am going to start looking for some place semi-local to get a couple chunks of live rock from an already established system.  I do have about 150 pounds of dry dead rock (most of which has been cleaned with vinegar bath/distilled water rinse) from previous builds, but I do not want to start with those.   There are a couple LFS somewhat close to me, but I am just not too sure how trustworthy they are.  I also intend on getting a bag of the live sand as well.  

As far as fish / inverts go, I really don't have anything specific in mind, but have considered a goby/shrimp pair. 

Once I get the tank up and running, I do plan on keeping it at low bioload until I get a solid stocking list, and an order for it to all go in.

Sorry for the random rambling, I just wanted to throw something out here, to get some ideas actually flowing.

After I get an actual tank, I am sure I will have some more questions.

Adam

• Like 5

Thank you Snow !  I took a minute to look at your 10g CoC tank and THAT is AMAZING !!!  The one side that has the zoas, paly's & clove polyps is what I would like to do with my whole tank !  Like the guy who responded to your thread, I like the old botanical gardens look with all of the colors and shapes thrown together.  I know it will take some time to get there, but honestly, that is my goal for this tank, is to look similar to what you have !

Adam

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Make sure you start off with as much healthy live rock as you can..This will lessen the inevitable swings of the ugly phase. 

I've grown a lot of nice zoa gardens and have a few suggestions that most people dont follow because of the myth that zoas are ultra bullet proof beginner corals. They arent. Zoas are sensitive to young tanks because of all the nutrient swings and occasional algae blooms. Don't start stocking until your tank is free and clear of nuisance algae and nitrate and phosphate are stable. Next, stick to more common varities that aren't expensive and wait to see how one or two frags do in your tank before buying more.

• Like 6

Than you for the warm welcome everyone ! 

Blaster man, thank you for the tips on the zoas !! I will definitely keep that in mind.  

Let's say that I get all live rock from a healthy system that has been established for a couple years.  After any initial "mood" (parameter) swings, do you think I should add coral, or fish first to start things off ? 

• Like 1