ReefCleaners.org

basket or reactor?

surgiieo

Hello Everyone. I'm a little torn or just confused in understanding and perhaps I just need some clarification. The way I understand it is that a reactor can contain GFO, Carbon or a mixture of both such as Seagel. The tank I'll be running is an Innovative Marine SR-80 AIO. What I'm trying to figure out is what the best move is with this thing, a media basket with goo and carbon bags or a reactor with a mixture of the two. clearly ill still run a filter pad to catch any debris. My understanding is that essentially they will both do the same thing in a different way, am I correct?

thanks for the help /advice/sarcasm in advance

Gfo really should only be used on a as needed basis. It can strip phos from a tank relatively quickly and phos is important for corals as well as preventing dino's. 

If you need to reduce phos, why not just use phosguard when/if needed in a media bag?

• Like 3
NoOneLikesADryTang

We have the SR80, and we run dual media baskets (one on each side), and a protein skimmer in the second chamber on the left. The second chamber on the right is empty. If we need to run carbon, we just put it in a mesh bag, and throw it in one of the media baskets. 

Clown, that's what I use in my 25 lagoon and honestly I always thought good was necessary. I use the purity pack stuff in there which one bag is gfo.

Tang, that's what I'll be running in the back as well. What do you have in the media basket that's full?  I'm wondering now if a UV is a good idea on one side. Any thoughts?

2 hours ago, surgiieo said:

Clown, that's what I use in my 25 lagoon and honestly I always thought good was necessary. I use the purity pack stuff in there which one bag is gfo.

Tang, that's what I'll be running in the back as well. What do you have in the media basket that's full?  I'm wondering now if a UV is a good idea on one side. Any thoughts?

I had a media basket on each side, filter floss and a small amount of carbon. Thats all i used.

I diy'd a pod condo and had that in the secomd chamber on 1 side, the heater was in the second chamber on the other side. 

Stupid simple is far less complicated and very effective.

A UV shouldn't be run 24/7, it does kill beneficial life as well.

A sterile tank = an unhealthy tank, a tickimg time bomb for dino

NoOneLikesADryTang
4 hours ago, surgiieo said:

Filter floss on both baskets. One side has carbon, the other side has rubble rock that was seeded from ocean rock.I have thought about doing a refugium on the one side, in the empty media baskets compartment, but the tank is super happy, so I haven’t messed with it. 

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...
On 10/16/2021 at 11:49 PM, surgiieo said:

Hello Everyone. I'm a little torn or just confused in understanding and perhaps I just need some clarification. The way I understand it is that a reactor can contain GFO, Carbon or a mixture of both such as Seagel. The tank I'll be running is an Innovative Marine SR-80 AIO. What I'm trying to figure out is what the best move is with this thing, a media basket with goo and carbon bags or a reactor with a mixture of the two. clearly ill still run a filter pad to catch any debris. My understanding is that essentially they will both do the same thing in a different way, am I correct?

thanks for the help /advice/sarcasm in advance

If the tank isn't running, then IMO you're too soon in worrying about this.  The tank my not even need it.  

Most tanks do not run any of that stuff most of the time.  New tanks should not run it at all.