Pod Your Reef

10 gallon tank

New Fishy Boy 612

New Fishy Boy 612

I’m planning on getting a 10 gallon salt water tank and was wondering how much fish i could fit in there. I was thinking a watchmen goby, a (lawnmower) blenny, and perhaps either a fire fish goby or clown fish. Pls tell me I’m new.

1 hour ago, New Fishy Boy 612 said:

I’m planning on getting a 10 gallon salt water tank and was wondering how much fish i could fit in there. I was thinking a watchmen goby, a (lawnmower) blenny, and perhaps either a fire fish goby or clown fish. Pls tell me I’m new.

Personally I would only put one or two small fish in a ten gallon. A watchmen and a lawnmower blenny would most likely be fine, but I wouldn't add anything else fish wise. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
New Fishy Boy 612
37 minutes ago, W1ll said:

Personally I would only put one or two small fish in a ten gallon. A watchmen and a lawnmower blenny would most likely be fine, but I wouldn't add anything else fish wise. 

Would it be ok if i also added a cleaner shrimp. Would it also be ok if i swapped one of the fish for a royal gramma?

thx

Lawnmowers really look cool but I don't think they are happy in smaller tanks and do best if you can throw some veggies in their diet. They also produce a lot of waste and that means nitrate.

Watchmen are fantastic nano fish. So are gammas. 

I prefer to add shrimp later on when there's copepods and other critters established to forage for. Young tanks aren't the best environments for inverts for shrimp, IMO. 

• Thanks 1
3 hours ago, New Fishy Boy 612 said:

Would it be ok if i also added a cleaner shrimp. Would it also be ok if i swapped one of the fish for a royal gramma?

thx

I think a royal gramma and a watchman goby would do great in a 10 gallon. For the shrimp make sure that you do your research on them and have a stable tank

• Thanks 1
New Fishy Boy 612
52 minutes ago, blasterman said:

Lawnmowers really look cool but I don't think they are happy in smaller tanks and do best if you can throw some veggies in their diet. They also produce a lot of waste and that means nitrate.

Watchmen are fantastic nano fish. So are gammas. 

I prefer to add shrimp later on when there's copepods and other critters established to forage for. Young tanks aren't the best environments for inverts for shrimp, IMO. 

THX FOR THE INFO!!!

49 minutes ago, Xj reefing said:

I think a royal gramma and a watchman goby would do great in a 10 gallon. For the shrimp make sure that you do your research on them and have a stable tank

THNX FOR THE INFO

• Thanks 1
New Fishy Boy 612
17 minutes ago, rough eye said:

i don't think lawnmower or sailfin blennies can be kept in a tank that small. read up on anything you want to get before buying.

Okay, i did, a lot of people say you can keep a watchmen goby in a 10 gallon, and same for the gramma

• Like 1

Lawnmower's get very large and require a lot of algae, not all will take to veggie pellets or nori. This means the tank must have algae readily available for them to graze on for survival.

This blenny is much more suited to a larger tank.

A watchman you can do in a 10g. Not a diamond goby but a yellow watchman or spotted watchman.

You could do a watchman and pistol shrimp which is a great combo.

If you want to add a open swimmer fish, stick to something small. A pygmy wrasse would be a nice fish to have, its peaceful. 

• Thanks 1
New Fishy Boy 612
12 hours ago, Clown79 said:

Lawnmower's get very large and require a lot of algae, not all will take to veggie pellets or nori. This means the tank must have algae readily available for them to graze on for survival.

This blenny is much more suited to a larger tank.

A watchman you can do in a 10g. Not a diamond goby but a yellow watchman or spotted watchman.

You could do a watchman and pistol shrimp which is a great combo.

If you want to add a open swimmer fish, stick to something small. A pygmy wrasse would be a nice fish to have, its peaceful. 

What if i kept a lawnmower in the 10 gallon for a year and then upgraded?

also, do you know any other blennys that can survive in a 10 gallon?

Just now, New Fishy Boy 612 said:

Thanks for the list helps a ton

I always compare other sites to this as well. Some on this list are pushing the limits. I want a Coral Beauty but can't bring myself to put one in my 20 for example, most sites says 70 min.

• Thanks 1
New Fishy Boy 612
33 minutes ago, PeterU said:

I always compare other sites to this as well. Some on this list are pushing the limits. I want a Coral Beauty but can't bring myself to put one in my 20 for example, most sites says 70 min.

Ok, thnx for the advise!

7 hours ago, New Fishy Boy 612 said:

What if i kept a lawnmower in the 10 gallon for a year and then upgraded?

also, do you know any other blennys that can survive in a 10 gallon?

It may not even last a year.

A tailspot blenny would be far more appropriate

New Fishy Boy 612
21 minutes ago, Clown79 said:

It may not even last a year.

A tailspot blenny would be far more appropriate

The tailspot blenny still cleans algae off, right. That’s kinda one of the reasons i want a blenny

41 minutes ago, New Fishy Boy 612 said:

The tailspot blenny still cleans algae off, right. That’s kinda one of the reasons i want a blenny

yes eats algae and are very active with a great personality.

On 10/17/2021 at 3:31 AM, New Fishy Boy 612 said:

I also want to know more about it. What kind of fish are you going to keep there? Thanks!